Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 56 Golden Hawk GT Frame

Hello,

Will 56 Golden Hawk GT frame interchange with a 62 Hawk or 64 Hawk?

Thanks,

Anthony

Yes and no. What do you want to do? Which way are you going?

Comment

If your talking putting a 56 on a 62 gt frame yes it will work but not a bolt on.

Comment

What is a '56 Golden Hawk GT?

Anthony, WELCOME to the Forum!
        You've come to the right place for answers.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Been there-done that, and yes it is easily doable, as frame swaps go. However, while there are several benefits to putting a GT frame under a 56J, I cannot think of any benefits of putting a 56J frame under a GT.

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.

I need the 56 body on the 62 frame. The 56 frame has some issues.

Comment

You will need to graft the driveshaft carrier bearing support from the 56J to the GT. The GT's rear springs are an improvement over the 56J, and best left in place. The front stantios for the motor mounts will need to be swapped over, and the frame cross member below the bell housing is 56J unique, but will swap right over. Also, if running power steering, you will need to strategically whack a slight indentation in the frame, where the PS gear box nose touches the frame. The gearbox mount will swap right over.

The GT frame is a heavier gauge, and has factory reinforcement plates tack welded inside, where the upper inner 'A' arm pin mount bolts go. The earlier Hawks were prone to cracking in that area, especially 56Js. There was a factory field fix, put out in the late 1950s, but it called for welding that plate onto the outside of the frame.

All Hawk frames are prone to cracking on the bottom, around the spring tower rivets. So be sure to inspect and repair those on the GT before you swap it in. There's about a 90 percent likelihood there will be cracks there on the GT frame. Its an easy repair though, especially when the frame is out from under the car.
              Last edited by JoeHall; 01-31-2018, 07:15 AM.

Comment

So the 56 golden hawk body will swap over to the 64 hawk frame?

Thanks for all the information.

Comment

Yes, see what JoeHall said above. Follow all instructions.

Comment

P.S. Where did you get that hawk? If local, it may be one of Jim P.'s old ones. But I think that was a 61 with the bent frame.

Comment

the Packard V8 was a frame breaker with a flimsy Stude frame. If you are planning such a huge project go with a 63 or 64 frame; they are heavier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffry Cassel View Post
                        the Packard V8 was a frame breaker with a flimsy Stude frame. If you are planning such a huge project go with a 63 or 64 frame; they are heavier.
                        Incorrect, the '62 to '64 GT Hawk Frames are all heavier 11 Ga. than 1961 and earlier Domestic, South Bend and Los Angeles Frames.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Do the earlier K-bodies have all the same mounts as a GT? I think the GTs got an upgrade at the area where the coupe "B" pillar would be. The early K-bodies may have it. I did some research a few years ago to understand the differences between the C & K floors. I will be adding GT torque boxes to my C-body to stiffen it up. A bottom view from a 63 GT is attached.

JK
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0466.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1719442Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0453.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1719443Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0454.jpg
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1719444
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                            Do the earlier K-bodies have all the same mounts as a GT? I think the GTs got an upgrade at the area where the coupe "B" pillar would be. The early K-bodies may have it. I did some research a few years ago to understand the differences between the C & K floors. I will be adding GT torque boxes to my C-body to stiffen it up. A bottom view from a 63 GT is attached.

JK
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]70194[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70195[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]70196[/ATTACH]
                            Another way to check for differences is to look closely compare the two frames. Both of the Shop Manuals have detailed pix of the frames, to include every dimension, every bracket, every hole, etc.. You will find they are about 95 percent the same, and the differences are negligible.

Comment

The only K's that are different are the 53's. They have no batwing and no spots on the torque boxes to mount the ends of the wing.

Comment

Working...
                              X