1950 Commander drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Commander drivetrain

A while back I bought a Commander Starlight without motor or trans. Got sidetracked on Larks but would really like to get the 50 project moving.I ain't gettin any younger!
    As it is apparently next to impossible to install a Stude V8 and putting in a SBC would be a chore also, I'm wondering what are the chances of finding a Commander 6 engine trans for it and also how late a model could it come from? I don't seem to see any advertised in TW so don't really know if they are rare or just undesirable. Never seen one on Ebay either.
    Thanks for any help.

This was advertised earlier in the month. I don't know about their current availability.

Comment

1949 and 1950 Commanders used the 245 engine, and I think it's a great cruising package with the overdrive.
      My 1950 Commanders with overdrive always got 28 MPG on the highway. That was in the 60's and 70's with better gas.
      They shouldn't be too hard to come by. Roy offered an engine for free, but he's on the left coast.

Comment

The Commander 6 started life as the 189 cid Rockne 6 in 1932 and was bored and stroked to an eventual 245 cid; used in Commanders through 1950 model year and some trucks in to 1961

Check with Rex Miltenberger. I believe he recently came in to possession of several Commander 6 engines. He also picked up a few V-8's for those who might be interested.
        He's primarily a pre-war aficionado and what doesn't get moved will be scrapped.
        He's on this forum as studerex.

Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I'm wondering what are the chances of finding a Commander 6 engine trans for it and also how late a model could it come from? I don't seem to see any advertised in TW so don't really know if they are rare or just undesirable. Never seen one on Ebay either.
          Agree, if it were mine, I'd rebuild the latest Commander 245" six I could find, put it with an overdrive and cruise happily ever after.

Just the other day, someone was saying how dirt-common Commander sixes have been recently. But they're mostly cores; the days one could pull a running engine out of a junked/wrecked car, drop it in and drive for another ten years are long in the past. You won't have any difficulty finding core engines to rebuild. The bad news is CASOs will choke at today's cost to rebuild any engine, but especially the Commander.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

I know French Lake Auto Parts in Minnesota has some, and they are about 50 miles northwest of Minneapolis.
            Cooley's in Wisconsin has a 1949 and 1950 Commanders. They are about 12 miles east of Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

Comment

RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
              4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
              5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

So they are not too rare then. My feeling is though that I have to find something closer to New York State. Otherwise between cost,crating,shipping and rebuild I'll be in the poor house. I've got a few months to search. Well actually as long as it takes.
                Thanks gents.

Comment

Listing has ended but thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeE View Post
                    "...between cost,crating,shipping and rebuild I'll be in the poor house."
                    Thanks gents.
                    It depends who you work with, George. A "core engine" doesn't need to be crated, it can be strapped on a pallet and shrink-wrapped. Shipping can be as little as $250-350 even coast-to-coast, if you play your cards right.
                    John
                    1950 Champion
                    W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                    Holdrege NE

Comment

I understand store to store Fastenal is reasonable. I'm not sure if they have stores nationwide, but I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeE View Post
                        Listing has ended but thanks.
                        Yes, but it didn't sell. That means the seller still has it.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X