Hurst shifter NOS T-86 or T-cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurst shifter NOS T-86 or T-cab

For those of you that have requested a photo, here is the photo for the NOS shifter.

So the information you were given is it fits a T-86 car or a T-85 Champ Truck, both with NO Overdrive?

Very few 3 speed shifters will fit an Overdrive because of the Solenoid being on the left side where the shifter mounts.

This would be a NORS unit, since the factory never used a Hurst.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So the information you were given is it fits a T-86 car or a T-85 Champ Truck, both with NO Overdrive?

Very few 3 speed shifters will fit an Overdrive because of the Solenoid being on the left side where the shifter mounts.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

quote:

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        Did Studebaker use an in-house unit for the Avanti's and Taxis or was it from someone else?

My Father and Uncle's '51 drag car had a floor shift - will have to remember to ask if he remembers what make it was...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
        [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
        [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/th7E7-11-20021.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

quote:

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          Did Studebaker use an in-house unit for the Avanti's and Taxis or was it from someone else?

My Father and Uncle's '51 drag car had a floor shift - will have to remember to ask if he remembers what make it was...

<div align="left">1960 Lark VI</div id="left"> <div align="right">1962 7E7-122</div id="right">
          [img=left]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/8b0ac4c6.jpg[/img=left]
          [img=right]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/62champ/car/th7E7-11-20021.jpg[/img=right]

Comment

Anson made a 3 spd shifter for the early Larks with OD ...I have a NOS one that I plan on putting in my Champ truck sometime.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Anson made a 3 spd shifter for the early Larks with OD ...I have a NOS one that I plan on putting in my Champ truck sometime.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

On a '51 "drag car" that would depend on WHEN he built it!

In the 1950's there were all kinds of 3 spd. speed shifters, since Chrysler Products, Ford, Hudson and Studebaker all used the same Borg Warner Transmissions. I don't remember there being any Hurst Co. at all, just Fenton, Ansen, Eelco and a bunch of no-name brands of early 3 speeds before 4 speeds and Hurst came along.

I guess it really doesn't matter since Studebaker used no floor shift 3 speed conversion kits except for odd setups like special ordered Taxis and 3 speed Avantis.

And we are dealing with a modern day Competition Plus or whatever model tall lever truck shifter it would appear, and all '56 & on V-8 Trucks use the HD T-85 3 speed.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

On a '51 "drag car" that would depend on WHEN he built it!

In the 1950's there were all kinds of 3 spd. speed shifters, since Chrysler Products, Ford, Hudson and Studebaker all used the same Borg Warner Transmissions. I don't remember there being any Hurst Co. at all, just Fenton, Ansen, Eelco and a bunch of no-name brands of early 3 speeds before 4 speeds and Hurst came along.

I guess it really doesn't matter since Studebaker used no floor shift 3 speed conversion kits except for odd setups like special ordered Taxis and 3 speed Avantis.

And we are dealing with a modern day Competition Plus or whatever model tall lever truck shifter it would appear, and all '56 & on V-8 Trucks use the HD T-85 3 speed.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

1951 Starlight my Father and Uncles raced was built in 1966/67 - and that was the only problem they ever had. Once going from first to second, Dad twisted off the piece coming out of the transmission for second and third gear.

Since I have posted, I realized my Father's '53 coupe has a three sp floor shifter as well as my Uncle's '62 Hawk had the floor shifted three sp. Hmmm, maybe there was a corner of the garden where they grew these things...

Comment

1951 Starlight my Father and Uncles raced was built in 1966/67 - and that was the only problem they ever had. Once going from first to second, Dad twisted off the piece coming out of the transmission for second and third gear.

Since I have posted, I realized my Father's '53 coupe has a three sp floor shifter as well as my Uncle's '62 Hawk had the floor shifted three sp. Hmmm, maybe there was a corner of the garden where they grew these things...

Comment

I have this exact shifter in my 60 lark 3spod. It will not fit an od trans without a lot of extra work. The floor shift is much improved over the column shift however.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                        Studebakers Northwest
                        Ferndale, WA
                        Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                        57 SH (project)
                        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                        57 SH (project)

Comment

I have this exact shifter in my 60 lark 3spod. It will not fit an od trans without a lot of extra work. The floor shift is much improved over the column shift however.

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
                          57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                          53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                          57 SH (project)

Comment

Additional info requested by readers-stamped on side of shifter is
                            40019 Hurst Dual Pattern w/syncro/loc.

Comment

Additional info requested by readers-stamped on side of shifter is
                              40019 Hurst Dual Pattern w/syncro/loc.

Comment

Working...
                              X