Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quicksand. 1950 movie with Mickey Rooney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quicksand. 1950 movie with Mickey Rooney.

Hi folks,
    I 've just watched this one. https://archive.org/details/Quicksand_clear
    Some scenes seem to have been filmed at a Studebaker dealer of the L.A. area.
    I spotted two brand new trucks, a 1948 commander Starlight and a Champion gets its rear axle removed.
    Thers is also a 1948 Packard at the end of movie, along with nice shots of the Santa Monica pier.
    Nice day to all.
    sigpic

Yup.....I saw it too....worth watching. Also saw D.O.A. over the weekend....a 1949 movie in which a Studebaker convertible was used in several scenes....
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

It looks like we have the same Film Noir diet... Of course, I loved D.O.A. too. Neville Brand's first apparition was impressive. Quicksand also shows us a young Jack Elam (uncredited). To me, nothing beats these old movies.
      sigpic

Comment

Also watched DOA for about the half dozenth time Saturday. One of the things that I really love about film noir classic, like DOA, is the amount scenes shot on site. Much of San Francisco and LA, the way I like to remember them. They will never be that way again.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Mickey Rooney's character works at the Studebaker dealer which I believe he robs?
          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Yup...that's they way I remember it.
            Originally posted by 57pack View Post
            If I remember correctly, Mickey Rooney's character works at the Studebaker dealer which I believe he robs?
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

One of my favorite "car spotter" movies!

Comment

Originally posted by Hallabutt View Post
                Also watched DOA for about the half dozenth time Saturday. One of the things that I really love about film noir classic, like DOA, is the amount scenes shot on site. Much of San Francisco and LA, the way I like to remember them. They will never be that way again.
                This is the reason why Kiss Me Deadly and The Lineup are also amongst my favourites. Seeing Bunker Hill and Angel's Flight or Sutro's in the flesh is a real delight. What they did to Bunker Hill is a shame. In case you hadn't seen it, here is some nice period footage about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-I2kLNwBak
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                  Yes. It all begins when he steals 20 bucks from the cash register to go out with a dame. In the end, he is wounded by the police after half killing his boss who tried to extort 3000$ from him for stealing a car worth the half.
                  Talk about quicksand!
                  sigpic

Comment

Chris, If you want to see some good film, in France there is a Blue Ray Disc that has Johnny Dark, with Tony Curtis. English with French subtitles. Starts out with footage of the Packard proving grounds and contains some rare cars. Including the 53 Studebaker Thunderbird, which Mac Hellings was building for Studebaker and crushed by his death in a plane crash.

Comment

Thanks Alan. I'll have a look at this one.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yes, and Mickeys Chevy develops a engine knock and he car jacks a Packard!
                        sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                        Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                        "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Working...
                        X