Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Wiper Arms

Hello,
    I tried a search and came up empty, so forgive me if this is a repeat thread. I've got a '64 Champ pickup, about 85% complete restoration. Windshield wiper arms. They're so flimsy, they just push a little water around and don't squeegee anything. My mechanic has tried bending, etc, to no avail. Humbly requesting any tips, tricks, after market arms? to fix this problem.

TIA,

Randy Anthony, VA Beach

I remember many years ago having to shorten the springs in wiper arms of a couple of old cars ( other brand) I had. They were really hard to cut and bend, but it did work.

Comment

Usually cause by broken or weak springs in the arms, not putting enough pressure on the blades. There are universal arms available or check with our vendors for replacements.
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum.

I have used after-market wiper arm "helpers" to correct this condition. They are a spring steel piece that goes over the wiper arms and presses down on them. This is a simple and effective fix. I do not believe in bending the arms. Of course, new arms or at least new springs in the arms is a better fix.

EDIT: SI lists new arms for your pickup on page 76 of their catalog.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow, thanks for the scoop, just looked up page 76 in the SI catalog, will give it a shot.

Comment

If you go to real hardware store they will probably have a assortment of springs the older arms are more sealed than new style but not hard to replace springs. Mine use to lift off window anything over fifty mile hour new springs cured this problem.

Comment

I bought a couple of pairs of Anco replacement arms from Rock Auto. The Anco part number is 41-02. I put a set of them on the 64 Champ that I had years ago and they worked far better than the originals. Bud

Comment

All good answers above, and my 50 Champion also had a weak spring on one side.

I like to use Rain-X and not the wipers. Rain-X works wonders.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                  I bought a couple of pairs of Anco replacement arms from Rock Auto. The Anco part number is 41-02. I put a set of them on the 64 Champ that I had years ago and they worked far better than the originals. Bud
                  Thanks for that input Bud. So this went on no problem, I can then just get the appropriate sized blades from any maker?

Comment

I bought new ones from feebay for the wifes Champ , The ones from tri five Chevys fit , I had to file a little to get the blade to lock on , Ed

Comment

Thanks everybody, I ordered the arms and blades from Rock Auto.

Comment

Working...
                      X