Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head Bolts Needed - 1955 Commander V8

Hey all,

Any idea where I can purchase a new set of head bolts? I've searched the SI online catalog, but it doesn't provide any pictures or descriptions.

Specifically, I need a set of the longer head bolts (4.5 inch) that go through the cylinder head and into the block.

Thank you!

JH

I have plenty of used ones. Do you need all of them? email me jimpepper60@gmail.com
    james r pepper

Comment

How many do you need as I have some in my stash of parts. I'm located in Hawthorne. If I can help you, send me a PM with your contact information. Bud

Comment

The last time I needed them I went to the hardware store and purchased grade 8 bolts; they work just fine. Chet445

Comment

They ALL go through the Head and into the Block.

The 4 1/2 Inch ones are probably the Long ones for the Rocker Arm Stands, those stretch when over tightened or tightened too many times.

UPDATE: Also, they should have Flat washers under them.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM. Reason: Added information in Maroon.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You would need to be aware that the long head bolts that go through the rocker arm stands have a reduced diameter that is part of the rocker arm oiling system. Only at the left front (driver’s side) and right rear locations, but using standard bolts would restrict the upper oiling system.

Comment

Hello all,

The bolts that I need are not the rocker arm bolts (7 inch), but the bolts that are in between each valve stem (4.5 inch) - SEE PIC.

Also, when I removed them they didn't have washers on them. Were they supposed to?

Bud is digging through his stockpile and thinks he has some extras.

Thanks for all the advice, it is truly welcome and appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine - Cylinder Head 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1719389

Comment

No, there are only 8 washers Total on only the Rocker Arm Stands on both Heads.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If Bud doesn’t dig some up for you PM me and I’ll send you some. Used, that is.

Comment

Working...
                  X