No announcement yet.

I’m going back to 1975 (stude related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m going back to 1975 (stude related)

Waaaay back in 1975 I was a young 21 year old. Just married, looking for a job I started as a Greenskeeper at Seaview Country Club in Absecon NJ. If you’ve ever driven Rt. 9 there, you’ve seen this Impressive White Clubhouse, across the street is the Bay Course, a Donald Ross design from 1914. Behind the club is the challenging Pines Course. Every day, I drove there in my ex. Byers Burlingame 1964 Cruiser, always glistening Black and Chrome. I delighted in parking it next to the various high end cars of the private clubs members MB 600’s, RRs and Bentley’s etc. Often I’d see these guys looking at MY car! It was a great job, mowing fairways with a massive Jacobsen F10, changing cups and really controlling the line of play of the courses. Three years later I left to take a job in a big printing company, and 20 years ago becoming self employed making replica 19th century cameras. This one man band job has been lonely, and I really missed the “team” aspect of ‘a real job’ . Soooooo, after being cleared by me Doctor, who happily told me I’m in the top 5% of guys my age (63), and a lecture on sunscreen...I applied once again for the Greenskeeper job. I start in March! Some things have changed but the Greens maintenance building is «*untouched*». My old locker is right where it was, my old F10 sits in a barn covered in pigeon poop. Mike, the superintendent, is going to have the mechanic overhaul it!! ....and now I’ll be driving out in my 1966 Daytona and parking it in exactly the same spot!. It’s really exciting to «*go back*» like this!!!

Good luck to you. I think that you will find that it is not all the same.

Your 1966 Cruiser was an 11 year old used car then. I do not own a car that new now. I have owned four 1964 Cruisers.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Who says "You can never go back" neat!

Bob

Comment

You gotta follow up with pictures

Comment

One of the sweetest benefits is “playing privilages”! Free golf on championship quality courses!!

Comment

My old locker is right where it was,
            haha, was any of your stuff still in there too? I had to look up that F10, what a monster! Looks like all the reels are ground drive. I have a little knowledge of the more recent (past 20yrs) green & yellow brand of golf course mowers having been involved with some R&D projects on them in the 2003-2006 era. Think they are/were hydraulic drives but going to electric to avoid oil leaks killing the grass. Greens mower certainly, not sure about the fairways mowers.

Jeff in ND

Comment

It's like "Back to the Future" meets "Caddy Shack!"

I was a TV Studio tech for 9 years, then taught at the same college for 23 years and for a short summer stint filled back in at the tech position for a few months when they let a guy go. I was on my way out anyway but decided there was just something about 'leaving at the job I had started.' From my perspective it is not a bad concept. All the best, hope it is as you remember it to be.
              Last edited by wittsend; 01-22-2018, 09:07 PM.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
              X