Asking all new SDC members to respond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking all new SDC members to respond

On January 12, 2018 there is a post about adding new members to the Studebaker Drivers Club. Several suggestions have been offered. I am posting this request as an addendum to that post.

I would like simple feedback from new members that have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. If you have joined in the past year or two, please let me know why you did join. It could be as simple as I bought a car, family member joined and I did, interested in history or if you are a member that had previously in years past joined and joined again why you did.

If you are a new member and would also like to add a reason why you will renew your membership, that would be great! If you are a new member and have suggestions for the good of SDC, that would be good feedback as well.

If you have joined a local chapter in the Pacific Southwest Zone give feedback on that as well. If you do have issues on anything, please send me a PM so I can note your concern and respond privately and relay your information to the chapter(s).

Thank you
    Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

I'm coming up on my 3rd year of membership. I joined because a couple years prior to that I had seen and talked to folks from the Karel Staple chapter of the SDC here in Sacramento. They had a display at the local Autorama in 2013, and I registered for the forum shortly after. I knew that at some point I wanted an old station wagon, and a Studebaker was always in the running, but I hadn't landed on the marque specifically. Talking to them about prices and specifications and parts availability made my mind up.

So three years ago I was in a better position to actively look for a Studebaker wagon, but I wanted to educate myself about the nuances of all things Studebaker and figured the club would be the best avenue for that. I attended the car show portion of the zone meet that was in my backyard, took a lot of photos and it deepened my interest in Studebakers in general. As much as I knew that I'd be looking for a Lark VIII wagon, I became a fan of nearly all the other models and still dream of a late 50's Hawk someday.

I continue to renew largely because of Turning Wheels. I especially love the Fred Fox articles on specific models and years, and the Co-Operator column serves as a good reference to learn about mechanical pitfalls before they happen to me, and to learn what the solution is. I guess that's one of the beauties of having a company that kept the mechanical specification the same over many years - a lot of the issues from a different model that might be 10 years older than mine still applies directly.

I have not been an active club member with either the local chapter (which I did also join), or attending the zone meets subsequent to the one I did go to before I became an owner although I have intentions to change that somewhat in the future. I just have limited free time and multiple obligations and activities - I wish I had more time to spend with my actual Studebaker either in my garage or out on the road, let alone being involved in Studebaker club activities. But I do realize that members need to support the club if it is going to survive into the future.
    Last edited by voxnut; 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
      On January 12, 2018 there is a post about adding new members to the Studebaker Drivers Club. Several suggestions have been offered. I am posting this request as an addendum to that post.

I would like simple feedback from new members that have joined the Studebaker Drivers Club. If you have joined in the past year or two, please let me know why you did join. It could be as simple as I bought a car, family member joined and I did, interested in history or if you are a member that had previously in years past joined and joined again why you did.

If you are a new member and would also like to add a reason why you will renew your membership, that would be great! If you are a new member and have suggestions for the good of SDC, that would be good feedback as well.

If you have joined a local chapter in the Pacific Southwest Zone give feedback on that as well. If you do have issues on anything, please send me a PM so I can note your concern and respond privately and relay your information to the chapter(s).

Thank you
      Bob Miles
      Tucson AZ
      Just so everyone knows, Bob Miles will be the new Zone Coordinator for the Pacific Southwest Zone effective April 15th. I am delighted to see he has already dug in his heels in an effort to improve membership in SDC. Be sure to get all your Regional Managers on board to assist you Bob,

Stu Chapman

Comment

This kind of effort would be nice from all Zone Coordinators and even more so by Board members. Unfortunately that has not been the case. Bob Miles should be applauded and copied by all ZC's and Board members across the country.
        Gary Sanders
        Nixa, MO

Comment

I think Bob is looking for Personal, Private Messages: "PM's" to accomplish that goal, not open Posts, but I guess there is no harm, no foul.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought a car almost a year ago, that is why I joined. Id like to see a Los Angeles chapter, as the closest to me is Northridge, and I havent been able to make it to any meetings.

Comment

That IS the Los Angeles Chapter, I guess their Membership has drifted North into the Valley so most meetings are "over the Hill".
              That happens, the Orange Empire Chapter, now the: Beach Cities Orange Inland Empire Chapter: www.bciec-sdc.com
              OH GREAT, it's been Hacked by Koreans, Chinese or?

They had that "Drift" happen also, and their Meetings MAY sometimes be closer or as far as the L.A. meetings, to you now.

This is our Chapter List: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/chapters.asp
              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-17-2018, 04:21 PM.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I think Bob is looking for Personal, Private Messages: "PM's" to accomplish that goal, not open Posts, but I guess there is no harm, no foul.
                Rich- the way I read it was that if you had issues with the club to PM him.
                Dean Seavers
                Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by voxnut View Post
                  Rich- the way I read it was that if you had issues with the club to PM him.
                  NOT at all, he wants to know why you joined or renewed Membership if you are NEW! That's the actual Topic, "Issues" are only a sideline/afterthought which should not happen YET!
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To clarify, open post for the reason for joining is what I solicit. If there is an "issue" I would rather receive a PM and only have positive responses posted and if there is an issue send a PM. I have received a nice PM from a member for there reason for joining. I have not received any as of now if there is an issue. I want this to stay positive: we can learn and grow with good feedback.

When there are more responses then it will be easy to see why people are joining our great club. Our open forum does not have any restrictions, but in the spirit of the post, I hope new members will respond and others that are not may post for their reason. Keep in mind, our club has evolved over the years and as valid as you had for joining may not be as applicable today. If anyone feels they need to post for reasons other than the spirit of the post, PM me.

Bob Miles
                    Tucson AZ

Comment

I joined a little less than a year ago. I've had my eye on a Studebaker truck project for quite a while. I found my 55 E-5 in a field outside Portland, and grabbed it before going to the crusher. I call it my pasture rescue. I always liked the lines of the Stude trucks as opposed to the "blocky" look of the trucks of that era. After that, I started reading everything I could which led me to this site and, specifically, the tech forum. Great site with very friendly people willing to share their knowledge and experience.

edit: I should mention that I have a ,membership, receive TW, and intend to renew.
                      Last edited by Studejohnn; 01-18-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

NOW, does EVERY BODY understand what Bob is looking for ?
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

The ZONE TALK part of the FORUM works great to kinda keep discussions in your Zone... but in this case, we can all learn from the answers.

Comment

Hey! Jake Kaywell commenting to report that while I still have not received any issues of Turning Wheels (I did sign up in November) I will still renew my membership because this forum and my GT Hawk by the name of Daisy-Mae have both been great!! One suggestion I would like to make to SDC is to develop the photo album more. I was disappointed by the relatively few pictures that were in there.
                            Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              NOT at all, he wants to know why you joined or renewed Membership if you are NEW! That's the actual Topic, "Issues" are only a sideline/afterthought which should not happen YET!
                              Not to beat a dead horse, but to clarify my response, you had previously said that you though Bob was ONLY looking for private messages as replies, not open posts. To which I replied that it seemed like he was looking for PMs only regarding issues. No matter, Bob clarified his desires.
                              Dean Seavers
                              Sacramento, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X