Shipping Costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Costs

Just wondering or is it my imagination but have freight rates gone up ?? at the same time have postal rates gone up . Doesn't the US and Canadian postal services usually give a warning to the public of on coming hikes ?? I deal with the post office on a regular basis and I didn't hear of a rate hike until this morning . Anyone know anything orheard anything about these hikes ?? They like to hike the rates but the service is still ( what comes from our Butts ) ty .

Old Fart

I think you are right, and we don't always get a warning about the price increase.
    In fact I was looking in a couple stores a week ago and commented to my friend that the new year has brought new prices. Higher of course.

Comment

Still trying to find the Studebaker content, this should be in Stove Huggers.

Comment

Studebaker content: A little over a year ago I ordered a catalog and a couple stickers from Studebaker international and they charged me $15 for shipping. I can't imagine shipping going up from that. When did their web site get changed? It was bad before, all but impossible now. Just my two cents.

Comment

Guido :
          I was referring to sending or receiving Studebaker parts .

Old Fart

Comment

Anecdotal, but;

A friend of mine is the owner of a trucking company that we use frequently. He told me that as of a week ago, all over the road trucks newer than 2010 are now required to use electronic log books. As a lot of drivers ran 2 sets of books to make more money, they have opted out. As a result, the remaining drivers are going up on what they want per mile. Over $3.00 per mile is now the norm for vans apparently, flatbeds higher. UPS and Fed Ex have also gone up. It just cost me $160 to have a 12 pound package overnighted from Atlanta Ga to Phoenix Az.
            Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

SHIPPING FROM CANADA IS OUTRAGEOUS! MAKES SHIPPING TO THE USA PROHIBITIVE. i CAN SEE THAT IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS LOTS OF GOOD PARTS WILL END UP AS SCRAP AS A RESULT. ITS NOT JUST PARTS, BUT BROCHURES AND MAGAZINES AS WELL. THE COST OF SHIPPING A BACK ISSUE OF "COLLECTIBLE AUTO" IS OVER $10.00. CANADA POST IS HURTING THE AVERAGE EBAY SELLER. AS AT THE EXPENSE OF FIRMS LIKE AMAZON WHO SEEMS TO GET A SPECIAL RATE.

T-CAB

Comment

Speaking from a purely business line of thought- if AMAZON spends, say 1 million dollars a year shipping things with Canada Post, wouldn't you think Canada post would give them a volume discount? That's how business works- at my business, those who spend the most money with me annually, get the best pricing structure. It's not that I'm Screwing the small guy, but he pays retail price, where those who do high volumes of business with me get a discount. You can't punish Canada Post for acting like a business here. And I agree with Guido- this belongs in Stove Huggers.
                Evan Davis
                Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

I have never seen Amazon over here EVER use Postal, the USPS, they use Fed-X and their own Giant Mailing System.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    I have never seen Amazon over here EVER use Postal, the USPS, they use Fed-X and their own Giant Mailing System.
                    Here in Michigan, Amazon uses USPS a large portion of the time and all Sunday delivery is USPS. FYI, Bob

Comment

I have noticed that a lot of companies use a combined shipping system. I do not know what it is called and it may only be available to companies. The parcel goes via UPS to the Post Office servicing the customer and then the USPS takes it to the customer's location.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                        I have noticed that a lot of companies use a combined shipping system. I do not know what it is called and it may only be available to companies. The parcel goes via UPS to the Post Office servicing the customer and then the USPS takes it to the customer's location.
                        Surepost, we used it extensively in my prior job.

Comment

Originally posted by old fart View Post
                          Just wondering or is it my imagination but have freight rates gone up ?? at the same time have postal rates gone up . Doesn't the US and Canadian postal services usually give a warning to the public of on coming hikes ?? I deal with the post office on a regular basis and I didn't hear of a rate hike until this morning . Anyone know anything orheard anything about these hikes ?? They like to hike the rates but the service is still ( what comes from our Butts ) ty .

Old Fart

Originally posted by old fart View Post
                          Guido :
                          I was referring to sending or receiving Studebaker parts .

Old Fart
                          I stand by my statement, this is not a Studebaker related subject but is strictly about shipping (with not even a Studebaker reference). Please follow the forum rules so that this area does not get cluttered with unrelated material.

Comment

Rich,

Sorry but this simply is not true! In fact there might not even be an Amazon if it had not been for the USPS, which partnered with them in the early days. I am a retired postal employee, and this is a story that I have told numerous times. I was a Bulk Mail Account representative. Our job was to administer to the needs of our customers, keep them on track, and make sure that there was no cheating by the customer. Remember the USPS is a public corporation that belongs to all of us.

In 1995 or 96 I began to go out to a startup company in Seattle. It was housed in a fairly large warehouse just south of the SODO area. The first time I met with management there was no security at the door, so I walked in. My first impression was that this company had a long way to go. The front part of the building had a multitude of large tables, made from large solid core doors, set up, in no particular order. At each station was there was a young person who was hand wrapping books.

Management was made up of equally young people who were trying to feel their way. The impression that I got was that they had come to the USPS for help when the other shippers would not help. The other shippers were more then happy to skim the cream off the top, when they could see a profit to be made, but couldn't be bothered by the little guy. It's the job of USPS to treat all customers the same.

In the beginning we set up a regular pick up schedule, helped them develop, and the monitoring their manifest mailing program, and help them with any other problems that they had. They had a written contract with the USPS, and we were their contract shipper. We handled 99% of their shipping needs.
                            In all honesty I really doubt that without this partnership, and the reliability and the service that it provided, we might not be talking about Amazon today. Our contract with Amazon remained in affect until the early 2000's, when they signed a contract with UPS. Today the shipping options are in constant flux, but the USPS continues to be an option for Amazon and all mailers. Remember the PO ships to places that the others can't or won't ship, regardless of profitability. There is much more to my story, but I'm going to stop.

Comment

That was interesting, thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X