Help with vent shade install 1948

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with vent shade install 1948

Hey folks, I have a set of stainless rain guards (vent shades) I have been putting off installing because it involves drilling holes in my car. Due to the expense and years I put into this coupe, you might understand my hesitation. So I thought I would first check on the forum to see if anyone could provide some meaningful words of experience with similar installations.

This coupe already has stainless trim around the window frame. It looks like the shade should go between the cat whisker bead and the stainless frame trim. However, the fit looks sketchy and drilling room uncertain. I mainly wanted the shades because they look cool, but I will not proceed until I’m confident I can get it right.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3FD27010-8270-41BA-89FA-105B3FE666CE.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	1756382
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jclary; 01-15-2018, 02:13 PM.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

I put the vent shades on my pickup with the super stick emblem and trim tape available at any auto store about 10 years ago and they are still hanging tight. Drilling holes for those things never seems to work for me.

Comment

Are you sure these are the correct ones? They look OK in the big picture, but the small picture looks all wrong. If they are correct, how about attaching them with RTV?
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Are you sure these are the correct ones? They look OK in the big picture, but the small picture looks all wrong. If they are correct, how about attaching them with RTV?
        OK, the photo's were taken outside today while my fingers were freezing. I managed to post the thread from my iPhone. Now that I'm in the house, warm fire in the the fireplace, hands thawed out, and a real computer, I'll try to 'splane. These are old style stainless steel. I have installed plenty of the modern double tape plastic rain guards, but never these kind. I once had a bunch of them in my parts stash, but sold those. These have the holes for the mounting screws already stamp/punched and must be installed that way. I can't imagine using double sided tape for this type of accessory. First of all, the shape will require the screws draw them up tight and give them the final "set" for a firm fitment. Absolutely impossible with tape or pliable adhesive. My conundrum is my lack of experience, combined with vague instructions, and the possibility of a slipping punch & drill on my expensive paint. I've seen these type of vent shades on all kinds of Studebaker's of the era. Coupes, Champions, Commanders, and Land Cruisers. I've just never examined them up close enough to get a good idea of exactly how the job was done.

I've googled pictures, and went through dozens of them. Problem is that none of the pics are detailed enough to show the mountings, exactly how they were placed. Mine have two screws close to each end. Brass screws are included, but the drill angle, and just where to drill is a big concern to me. There is some front to back tolerance, but not much for placement. I suppose I could set them inside the cat whisker channel and drill away, but the sure way to break a window, is to allow metal to glass contact. So, I'm thinking I need to find a way to mount these things between the cat whisker material and the door frame edge.

As far as your question about application, here's a scan of the box label...

Name:	1948 vent shade lable.jpg
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	1717977
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
          I put the vent shades on my pickup with the super stick emblem and trim tape available at any auto store about 10 years ago and they are still hanging tight. Drilling holes for those things never seems to work for me.
          I like it!

Comment

About a decade ago, I installed these on my 1948 Land Cruiser. IIRC, the screws entered at enough of an angle to not interfere with the windows. I had a friend help me and hold them in position while I drilled with the windows down. Not easy, but took our time and all came out well. They do add to the looks of the car. Good Luck!
            sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
            1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
            1959 4E2 4spd, TT
            1963 8E28 GSA order
            1963 8E5 SOLD!
            1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Could you mount them with Scotch Outdoor Mounting tape? It's double-backed, sticks like crazy, but is removable if necessary using dental floss and a solvent of some kind that wouldn't hurt the paint. I mounted stainless steel window trim on my 2013 Honda Civic when new and the trim hasn't moved since. As post #2 says, the tape is used for emblems and trim.

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1717989
              Bill L.
              1962 GT Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                Are you sure these are the correct ones?
                John's Kromvents are correct. But his were made by the Del-krome Corp. of N.Y. rather than the Auto Ventshade Co. of Chamblee, GA. The majority we find, and the ones we are accustomed to are from Ventshade, a company that was absorbed by Lind.
                A friend of mine has the Ventshades on the front of his '52 2-door sedan, and the Kromvents on the rear windows. No one has ever noted the difference.
                Originally posted by jclary View Post
                ... I thought I would first check on the forum to see if anyone could provide some meaningful words of experience with similar installations.
                John,
                They were intended to be screwed in place and, should you choose to do that, use the smallest screws that will do the job, and a small drill bit. They do fit between the stainless beaded channel and the stainless window opening trim; and you screw up and in to the trim, not the door. And, of course, use stainless screws.

I know modern plastic ones go on with double-sided tape but, I can't envision applying these with tape. IMHO it would be a much bigger PITA than screws.

Name:	P1160237.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	1717990Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160239.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1717991 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160241.jpg
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	1717992Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160243.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1717993
                Last edited by rockne10; 01-16-2018, 04:32 PM.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                X