Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker never mentioned it, but Sun Electric Corporation certainly did!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Studebaker never mentioned it, but Sun Electric Corporation certainly did!

In an attempt to clean up and toss 50 years worth of paper, I came upon some original Sun Electric Corp spec sheets concerning the R-series Studebaker's.

Concerning the R-1 and R-2 specifically:

Running dwell is stated as between 32 and 36 degrees..........I then noticed a tiny (*) at the bottom with the following information:

Max variation (off factory spec) is 2 degrees in either direction.......which means running dwell can be as low as 30 degrees, or as high as 38 degrees.

I wonder why Studebaker never made this additional information readily available?

After 25 years with the same set of points, my running dwell is a steady 31 degrees, which pleases me greatly, guess my steady maintenance has payed off in spades.

It is because ( in my opinion) the Prestolite distributor was a weak unit. Adding heavy or was it lighter weights and dual points made it even more weak......... It does not matter, the whole top end of these things were under-built, mild steel which failed quickly. I wish they could have sourced a better, more accurate unit for such a HiPo engine. (don't shoot the messenger)
    Last edited by (S); 01-06-2018, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      It is because ( in my opinion) the Prestolite distributor was a weak unit. Adding heavy or was it lighter weights and dual points made it even more weak......... It does not matter, the whole top end of these things were under-built, mild steel which failed quickly. I wish they could have sourced a better, more accurate unit for such a HiPo engine. (don't shoot the messenger)
      That ex[lains what I asked in a different thread: Why Prestolites wore out quicker than Delcos.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
        That ex[lains what I asked in a different thread: Why Prestolites wore out quicker than Delcos.
        And the answers in the other thread were that when the improved bushed advance weights were replaced that the Prestolites were great distributors.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebakercenteroforegon View Post
          And the answers in the other thread were that when the improved bushed advance weights were replaced that the Prestolites were great distributors.
          Yes, but did not address the shaft bushings (compared to equally ignored Delcos) and/or the cam. Sounds like it was just all soft steel, and maybe a smaller bushing?

My 52,000 mile dual point Prestolite had about .030 radial slop, .050 vertical slop, and I'm waiting to hear how the cam is. I've heard they don't last well either
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

Running dwell is stated as between 32 and 36 degrees..........I then noticed a tiny (*) at the bottom with the following information:

Max variation (off factory spec) is 2 degrees in either direction.......which means running dwell can be as low as 30 degrees, or as high as 38 degrees.

I wonder why Studebaker never made this additional information readily available?
            With a rear mounted distributor, just getting dual points installed and set within two degrees of spec is often likely to cause cussin'. In a GT Hawk hood, guaranteed. I finally decided pulling the distributor, removing old points, cleaning, lubing, installing and setting new points, was the way to go.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

The accepted mod to effectuate is to change to MoPar bronze bushing weights that are oil impregnated, all R series engines did come with dizzys that had a ball-bearing advance plate.
              Originally posted by Ron Dame View Post
              Yes, but did not address the shaft bushings (compared to equally ignored Delcos) and/or the cam. Sounds like it was just all soft steel, and maybe a smaller bushing?

My 52,000 mile dual point Prestolite had about .030 radial slop, .050 vertical slop, and I'm waiting to hear how the cam is. I've heard they don't last well either

Comment

Working...
              X