Yard art delivered and installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yard art delivered and installed

For those of you who saw my previous post about looking for a '50 or '51 Studebaker that I might use as a decoration and landmark, here is the result of my search. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1756355 I put it off to the side of the house in what my wife and I call the pasture. When I gather the headlight buckets and rims, grilles, and a bullet I'll put the front end together to make a better display

All of us have certain things in our lives that make us smile when seen. I can tell that this old wreck will be like that for me. I wish that I could be in the car with some of the folks driving by when they see it the first time. I am sitting in my shop building as I type his. There is a road that "T's" into the one I live on just to the west. Normally drivers accelerate steadily after the stop when they turn my way. Today I can hear a lot of them slowing down and one car actually came to a complete stop. What fun.

Tom

Cool! Where did you find it?

Comment

I like that! I’d wire up some lights for a night time display. Maybe some leds installed in parking lights and tail lights.
      I couldn’t get away with that in my yard. The local constabulary would be around in no time!
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Tom, I hope that the front end of that bulletnose doesn't disappear one night..............and be seen on a rat rod at the next cruise-in!
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Sit a skeleton or two inside!
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Sit a skeleton or two inside!

Oh yeah... and with an LED light wired in the dome light that comes on after dark. The reaction should be precious!
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Tom here's a story about one of Barry Hackney's neighbors in the exclusive River Oaks neighborhood of Houston. Having a restored Sherman Tank in front of your mansion makes it stand out from the rest of the multimillion dollar mansions and gives you a great way to deal with Houstons traffic.

HOUSTON - In the heart of River Oaks, neighbors are coming face to face with history without ever leaving the neighborhood.

"It's great for America," said homeowner Ken Douglas.

Attorney Tony Buzbee bought a fully functional World War II tank overseas last year for $600,000. Now he's temporarily parked it outside his multi-million dollar home in River Oaks.

"Took a year to get here but now it's on River Oaks Boulevard," said Buzbee. "This particular tank landed at Normandy. It liberated Paris and ultimately went all the way to Berlin. There's a lot of history here."

But now the River Oaks Property Owners group isn't happy about it.

"It's not violating any ordinance, but for some people it makes the homeowners association uncomfortable," said Buzbee.

They sent Buzbee a letter saying the tank "impedes traffic", causes a "safety issue" and is causing "serious concerns for neighbors".

"If you're offended just lighten up, my goodness it isn't hurting anyone," said Buzbee.

But finding concerned neighbors wasn't easy. Everyone we spoke to loves it.

"I wish it was permanent," said Douglas. "I think it's an asset and I think if you watch the cars come up and slow down, you say to yourself, 'wow, that's America.'"

Buzbee says he's not losing too much sleep over that HOA letter. For now though, he's keeping his new tank right where it is

Comment

I'd like it out front. It would slow people down without being an actual (ugh!) speed bump. It'd have to be driven every ten days though to be legal.
                Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I like the skeleton idea. Maybe have one arm hanging out with one bony hand clutching a bottle of Yuengling.

There is no Homeowners Association here. No zoning, no covenants in the deed except for one that prohibited me from drilling for oil or gas in the first ten years of ownership. Fine by me. I don't want any wells actually on the property. Beyond the tree line where I can't see, hear, or smell them would be fine. I'd still get royalties

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1717897 It actually is out front about 100 feet from the road, just not directly in front of the house.

I've found a pair of grilles and headlight rims and buckets (thanks Matt). Who has a rusty, crusty, not-good-enough-for-for-a-wall-hanger bullet they want to get rid of?

Even before Paul posted I thought I might run a little chain around the bullet. That's the part most likely to take a walk.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tomlewis View Post
                    Who has a rusty, crusty, not-good-enough-for-for-a-wall-hanger bullet they want to get rid of?
                    Actually, Tom; I just might be your huckleberry. I refurbed my '51 over a quarter century ago and I know I have all three pieces of the original nose in a box in the basement (perhaps several boxes). On the verge of being un-chromable; perhaps your perfect addition. Let me dig them out and I'll send a photo.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks Brad. I went back to look at my posts and realized that I never said what year this relic is. I talked to Matt Burnette on the phone and told him it was a '50, but now realize that I didn't specify it here.

Is there a difference in the size or mounting of the '50 and '51 bullets? I know the construction is different and that the '51 has the plastic center, but I doubt if anyone driving down my road would be able to glance at it and say "Oh, look at that. That guy put a '51 bullet on a '50"

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
                        Tom here's a story about one of Barry Hackney's neighbors in the exclusive River Oaks neighborhood of Houston. Having a restored Sherman Tank in front of your mansion makes it stand out from the rest of the multimillion dollar mansions and gives you a great way to deal with Houstons traffic.

HOUSTON - In the heart of River Oaks, neighbors are coming face to face with history without ever leaving the neighborhood.

"It's great for America," said homeowner Ken Douglas.

Attorney Tony Buzbee bought a fully functional World War II tank overseas last year for $600,000. Now he's temporarily parked it outside his multi-million dollar home in River Oaks.

"Took a year to get here but now it's on River Oaks Boulevard," said Buzbee. "This particular tank landed at Normandy. It liberated Paris and ultimately went all the way to Berlin. There's a lot of history here."

But now the River Oaks Property Owners group isn't happy about it.

"It's not violating any ordinance, but for some people it makes the homeowners association uncomfortable," said Buzbee.

They sent Buzbee a letter saying the tank "impedes traffic", causes a "safety issue" and is causing "serious concerns for neighbors".

"If you're offended just lighten up, my goodness it isn't hurting anyone," said Buzbee.

But finding concerned neighbors wasn't easy. Everyone we spoke to loves it.

"I wish it was permanent," said Douglas. "I think it's an asset and I think if you watch the cars come up and slow down, you say to yourself, 'wow, that's America.'"

Buzbee says he's not losing too much sleep over that HOA letter. For now though, he's keeping his new tank right where it is
                        Wasn't Tony Buzbee the guy who brought the inebriated date back to his house who destroyed his Andy Warhol artwork?

Comment

Too cool Tom and I heartily agree that you simply must have a skeleton or two! Good on ya.
                          Bill

Comment

My 51 has a 50 bullet on it. Fits fine, just need a little mounting modifications. And it comes with this nifty extra gas tank
                            Jim

51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
                            53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
                            62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

Tom you're amazing, keep up the go work!-Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X