Interesting engine weight comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting engine weight comparison

Reading about the history of the Packard V8 (http://1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/HRM195508A.html) I ran across an article that shows the weight of the complete 352 cu. engine, all but the air cleaner, at 698lbs. For as long as I can remember the Packard V8s are considered boat anchors.......

Well here are some of the big engines from the same era and a couple perhaps a little newer

331 Hemi - 745 lbs
    331 Cad - 699 lbs.
    390 Cad - 720 lbs.
    BBC/Mark iV - 685 lbs.
    401 Buick - 685 lbs.
    352 Packard - 698 lbs.
    374 Packard - 705 lbs.

So it appears that the Packard V8 was really in the same weight ballpark as its peers!
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Hot Rod magazine, Sept. '62, pp. 78-79, 100-101. Good reference on early engine weights. It is nice because it gives some engines' individual component weights (and "accessories"), as well; but alas, no Packards but it does include Stude.

Btw, the 392 Hemi (a virgin example, complete with factory air, rests back in my east 40) = 765... heaviest of the lot.

Comment

The Stude was what 685 if I remember correctly.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

So that first Golden Hawk would only be 13 pounds heavier up front. and not quite as black jack as its reputation.

Those boat-anchor '50s superchargers can't be all that light, either.....
        1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
        1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
        1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
        1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
        1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
        1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
          So that first Golden Hawk would only be 13 pounds heavier up front. and not quite as black jack as its reputation.

Those boat-anchor '50s superchargers can't be all that light, either.....
          For true; the '56 Golden Hawk and the '57-58 Golden Hawk engines weigh essentially the same.

My theory is the '53-55 cars were less likely to have PS, PB, PW and automatic, thus were lighter. When the '56J came along, most of them were loaded with all the heavier accessories. Also, the torque of the Packard V8 really overstressed the limber Stude frame and rear springs.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

When I first bought my 59 lark , I gave serious consideration to a 59 Cad 390 as I've always wanted to build one , And I thought it would put a whole new twist on Studillac
            I suppose with an aluminum intake and headers it would be fairly equal to a Stude V8? Must repeat..No more projects ...no more projects

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              For true; the '56 Golden Hawk and the '57-58 Golden Hawk engines weigh essentially the same.

My theory is the '53-55 cars were less likely to have PS, PB, PW and automatic, thus were lighter. When the '56J came along, most of them were loaded with all the heavier accessories. Also, the torque of the Packard V8 really overstressed the limber Stude frame and rear springs.

jack vines
              Wasn't the car's center of gravity different with the Packard engine and its placement? Of course the blower on the Studebaker engine was weight far forward.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                Reading about the history of the Packard V8 (http://1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/HRM195508A.html) I ran across an article that shows the weight of the complete 352 cu. engine, all but the air cleaner, at 698lbs. For as long as I can remember the Packard V8s are considered boat anchors.......

Well here are some of the big engines from the same era and a couple perhaps a little newer

331 Hemi - 745 lbs
                331 Cad - 699 lbs.
                390 Cad - 720 lbs.
                BBC/Mark iV - 685 lbs.
                401 Buick - 685 lbs.
                352 Packard - 698 lbs.
                374 Packard - 705 lbs.

So it appears that the Packard V8 was really in the same weight ballpark as its peers!
                Having just finished building a Packard 374 by stripping a 352 of all it’s useable parts and combining the two, I have no idea why a 374 would weigh more... the only difference being the 374 has a 1/8” larger bore... not that it’s much...
                1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

Wasn't the car's center of gravity different with the Packard engine and its placement?
                  The Packard is 4-5" longer than the Studebaker V8, so that would move the center of gravity maybe one or two inches forward.

Originally posted by drrotor View Post
                  Having just finished building a Packard 374 by stripping a 352 of all it’s useable parts and combining the two, I have no idea why a 374 would weigh more... the only difference being the 374 has a 1/8” larger bore... not that it’s much...
                  The 374" pistons are 40 grams heavier x 8 = 11 ounces more. The 374" block is a different casting, but the heads, manifolds, crankshaft, rods, accessories, are all the same. Having said that, I don't know why having 1/8" larger bore would make it weigh more. Just to settle the question, I'll weigh the two blocks one day next summer when the snow melts.

jack vines
                  Last edited by PackardV8; 01-04-2018, 12:38 AM.
                  PackardV8

Comment

My reference sources always have had the Stude and Cad motors the same within about 5# of each other, so you should not need an aluminum manifold on that 390, but lighter is always better in my book.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Per the same reference I used the Study V8 is 650lbs. Possibly the 374 Packard may have had a 2x4 manifold and an extra carb?

Last edited by Dan White; 01-04-2018, 05:05 AM.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Years ago , I set a Packard into my '55 coupe ( using the GH motor mounts ) , and the key to me
                        was that the engine , being longer , extends the weight forward of the " axle line " , which probably
                        affects the dynamics a bit .
                        The Stude engine remains behind the " axle line " .

I always thought that if Stude had produced aluminum Water and Intake manifolds for both of the engines
                        that they would have had an opportunity to appear as ,moving ahead , engineering-wise and advertising could have
                        made a good deal out of that Image-wise . Could have been a relatively inexpensive thing for the Corp. to do , and
                        do right .
                        2 cents
                        Bill H
                        Daytona Beach
                        SDC member since 1970
                        Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

My reference books on the Stude and Cad say they both are about 620# IIRC.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
                            My reference books on the Stude and Cad say they both are about 620# IIRC.
                            The difficulty is knowing we're comparing apples. Those must be bare engine weights. To get a Studebaker V8 down to 620# would be without bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, starter, generator, carburetor and maybe a few other externals.

From an observed weight on a certified scale, a 259" Studebaker V8, with all the above accessories, ready-to-run, but dry, weighs 695#.

jack vines
                            PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post

331 Hemi - 745 lbs
                              331 Cad - 699 lbs.
                              390 Cad - 720 lbs.
                              BBC/Mark iV - 685 lbs.
                              401 Buick - 685 lbs.
                              352 Packard - 698 lbs.
                              374 Packard - 705 lbs.

Dan,
                              That was eye-opening. Thanks for pointing it out. I always thought that the Packard V8 was heavier than most other V8s. I also thought the Stude V8 was much lighter. Go figure. Rog
                              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                              Smithtown,NY
                              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Working...
                              X