Carpeting for a 1961 Lark Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpeting for a 1961 Lark Convertible

Greetings, readers, and Happy New Year to all.
    My question is about carpeting for a 1961 Lark VIII convertible. In a Facebook post I read a comment about a carpet provider whose website is AutomotiveInteriors.com. I went there at first looking for a kit for my M-series truck (since the FB post spoke of carpet for a 1953 truck) but of course they only start with trucks from the 1949-and-up vintage. Next, I saw that they offered carpet sets, either cut pile or loop, for the Larks.
    However, in non-four-door variety they only list body style availability as 2-door hardtop (no post) and 2-door sedan (with post). Is either of those body styles compatible with a convertible? And if so, does anyone want to weigh in about: cut pile vs loop? I'm sure not a carpet guy, either house or car, so I don't even know the differences (look, wearability, etc.). Thanks.
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

A Hardtop is always going to be the closest to a Convertible, having the same "B" Pillar to Floor reinforcement post that curves inboard to the frame definitely affecting the Carpet fit.

What I do not know is how much difference there is in the Carpet because of the large "Box" in the quarter panel for the Top Hinges. I would think the Convert. Carpet is smaller so it could be Cut.

If you want a Custom Fit Convertible Carpet, you have to go to our SDC Advertiser; SouthEast Studebaker.

All the Studebaker Vendors are here: http://studebakervendors.com
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for that advice about SouthEast Studebaker, StudeRich. I'll certainly pursue that direction.
      Mike Auldridge
      Gaithersburg, MD
      301-651-4346
      SDC Life Member since 1976
      1948 M16
      1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Comment

Cut and loop carpet are just as the name implies. Loop is the threads coming up, bending over, and going back down thousands of times to make up the carpet.

If you take a small scissors and cut the loops, so the threads are all open, then you have the cut style carpet.

Comment

Your 61 should have originally been loop carpet. Cut or plush carpet became popular years later.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Working...
          X