Remembering our past

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering our past

Ever since I took ownership of my GT Hawk, I have had Christmas Cards printed with a picture of the car. Each year I would send those Christmas Cards to the previous owners or their children. This year I got individual responses from the son and daughter of the original owner. They both expressed fond memories of the Studebaker from years gone by. Those responses mean so much to me and may be followed up with pictures of my car when they were kids. It's all part of the genealogy of my '62 GT Hawk!
    Peter Bishop

I once invited the previous owner of my Champ to attend our All Studebaker Picnic.....he never responded.
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

Comment

Peter, I commend you for reaching out like that. The family of the original owner sure seems to have enjoyed it. I met the original owners of my old '63 Daytona Skytop and it was a memorable afternoon of which I am very glad happened.
      Bill Pressler
      Kent, OH
      (formerly Greenville, PA)
      Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
      Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
      1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
      1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
      All are in Australia now

Comment

When I bought the 56J in 1986, it had been in an Air Force storage building since the late 1960s. I was able to talk to the lady who drove it in college during the 1960s. Peter it sounds like you really made those original owners' day !

Comment

When I finished the restoration on a 1953 Commander Starliner, I drove it to the home of the original owners. I remember the lady saying that it looked better than the day that it was new. It may have with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish and show chrome.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            When I finished the restoration on a 1953 Commander Starliner, I drove it to the home of the original owners. I remember the lady saying that it looked better than the day that it was new. It may have with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish and show chrome.
            Gary, with the many Studebakers that you have owned over the years, it would make a great article for Turning Wheels if you would share photos and stories of them. You probably have enough material for a series of articles. If anybody else agrees with me, please encourage Gary to do so!
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              Gary, with the many Studebakers that you have owned over the years, it would make a great article for Turning Wheels if you would share photos and stories of them. You probably have enough material for a series of articles. If anybody else agrees with me, please encourage Gary to do so!
              Two problems with this, 1) I do not have pictures of many of them and certainly very few pictures suitable for print. This particular car I do have pictures (snapshots) of. Remember this was all before the days of digital photography where people are now taking pictures of everything. This particular car has its picture in color in the hardbound book "Contemporary Classics" (before I was finished with the car). and 2) I have submitted several articles to Turning Wheels editors that were not published. I gave up.

I have only owned some number more than 50 (when I stopped counting) of Studebakers. I have worked on many more.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                This particular car has its picture in color in the hardbound book "Contemporary Classics" (before I was finished with the car).
                I still have that book in my collection. I scanned the photo of it here--------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ther+bookstore

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                  I still have that book in my collection. I scanned the photo of it here--------> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ther+bookstore

Craig
                  Thanks for that reference, including a picture of my car, Craig.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I contacted the previous owner of my Hawk about 9 years after I bought it, thinking he might appreciate knowing it was being cared for, driven and enjoyed. He didn't seem to care, he had put a LOT of money into it but had no mechanical skills to do any of the work himself. It became a money pit for him and he was never able to enjoy all the work that was done on it, it had sat for almost 5 years when I bought it. Luckily, he stored it inside and started it occasionally. I have driven it for 12 years now and it has been one of the most dependable cars I have ever owned, once I got all the little quirks fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X