Interesting Christmas Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Christmas Trip

So my 56 President has been at the Upholsterer's shop in my hometown getting new Headliner, windlacing and Door panels. He has been using it as a fill-in job between bigger jobs, so it's cheaper for me and convenient for him. He called a few weeks ago to let me know it was done, so this weekend we are going to my parents' place for Christmas and I plan on driving it back. It will be a 350 mile trip, and we've just dropped into a cold spell, so it looks like the daytime high Sunday when i'll be driving it back is forecast to be -12 degrees Fahrenheit. It's always been a summer car- I've never tested it in the winter- so it will be an adventure. I know the heater works, as I've used it in the fall and spring, but never this cold. Should be an interesting Christmas adventure.
    Attached Files
    Evan Davis
    Prince Albert, Sk

Originally posted by fargoguy View Post
    So my 56 President has been at the Upholsterer's shop in my hometown getting new Headliner, windlacing and Door panels. He has been using it as a fill-in job between bigger jobs, so it's cheaper for me and convenient for him. He called a few weeks ago to let me know it was done, so this weekend we are going to my parents' place for Christmas and I plan on driving it back. It will be a 350 mile trip, and we've just dropped into a cold spell, so it looks like the daytime high Sunday when i'll be driving it back is forecast to be -12 degrees Fahrenheit. It's always been a summer car- I've never tested it in the winter- so it will be an adventure. I know the heater works, as I've used it in the fall and spring, but never this cold. Should be an interesting Christmas adventure.
    Is the anti-freeze up to the trip?
    Do you have a good winter thermostat?
    If not, a good size piece of cardboard?...☺

Comment

Originally posted by harry View Post
      Is the anti-freeze up to the trip?
      Do you have a good winter thermostat?
      If not, a good size piece of cardboard?...☺
      All three affirmative.
      Evan Davis
      Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

Make sure you fill us in on the back side...and have fun!
        Mike Davis
        1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

That's a beautiful car. Do you know how old your tires are?

Comment

They are year old radials
            Evan Davis
            Prince Albert, Sk

Comment

That '56 President Classic should be one heck of a Nice Interstate and Highway Cruiser !

Sweet!
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I took my Lark out a couple days ago, not -12, but upper 20s, and that heater kept the car very cozy!

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip. Take some extra clothes just Incase is he heater won’t keeep up. Leaky windows, doors, steering wheel boots can steal a lot of heat from the cabin.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Drive carefully and enjoy Evan. Merry Christmas.

Stu chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt View Post
                      Sounds like a fun trip. Take some extra clothes just Incase is he heater won’t keeep up. Leaky windows, doors, steering wheel boots can steal a lot of heat from the cabin.
                      Not just the heater, but should something else decide to go under the hood or the rest of the drivetrain. I'm sure Evan will, being from the prairies where one always dresses for the weather; not the temperature inside the vehicle.

Craig

Comment

He will be OK , he lives in the frozen north all year, takes the car to Calgary for the 2017 Zone Meet, and STUDEBAKERs are tough meant to be driven , as they were when they were new.
                        Evan Severson

Comment

Nothing says the fifties like that Tangerine and white two tone paint job. Love it!
                          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I suggest you also have an ice scraper handy in case you start getting frost on the inside of the windows.

If the air will be that cold and dense, expect to burn more gas during the trip. Enjoy the extra power.
                            Mark L

Comment

Harbor freight is selling one of those in the car heater defrosters , 8.95 It might be cheap insurance , Provided you have a lighter outlet , Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X