1950 Fuel Pump Number Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 Fuel Pump Number Confusion

I understand a lot of ebay sellers don't know what they are selling and several fuel pumps with different numbers are listed as fitting the 1950 Champion or 1950 Commander. As I understand it the single action pump was standard on the Champion, and dual action was an available accessory. All Commanders came with dual action fuel pumps, so it seems to me 3 different part numbers should cover all 1950 Studebakers. I see 4 digit numbers stamped in most fuel pump mounting flanges, but my Motor's Parts manual lists the pumps by 6 digit numbers.
    Does anyone know what's up with this?

My new chassis and body parts books haven't arrived yet, so I can't check those numbers. Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by TWChamp; 12-22-2017, 07:51 AM.

Those numbers could be Stude part numbers, which most aftermarket companies used as a cross-reference. Also, many aftermarket companies put their own prefix number(s) on the original Delco number to indicate something or other. Even Delco put a "2" prefix on rebuilt pump numbers when they were rebuilt in-house. But in most cases, the thing that did not change was the basic 3- or 4-digit Delco number.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

A lot of parts suppliers like airtex use the last four digits of the AC number as their pump number.
      Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
      1961 Hawk 4-speed
      1967 Avanti
      1961 Lark 2 door
      1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Why not buy from a Known Studebaker vendor? That way, you will get the correct part.

Jim
        "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
        their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
          Why not buy from a Known Studebaker vendor? That way, you will get the correct part.

Jim
          SI doesn't have it listed in the catalog, but I'll check the swap meet in South Bend, as that's where I bought the repair kit for my 50 Champion.

Comment

I got the kits for my 50 commander dual action pump from Dave T. I then rebuilt one and then had him rebuild two more spares for me as they are not an easy pump to rebuild.
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
              SI doesn't have it listed in the catalog, but I'll check the swap meet in South Bend, as that's where I bought the repair kit for my 50 Champion.
              Here's what I found in S.I.'s catalog:"New or rebuilt dual action pumps available for 1948-50 cars & 1949-53 trucks. Call for availability & price". They list #679936 for Commanders, but it is a single action model.
              Merry Christmas to all.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X