Transmission trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission trouble?

I have been investigating a "clunk" and sometimes "locking up [when attempting to start out]" of what I thought was the differential in my Avanti. (The u-joints have been replaced and the axle hubs are torqued and "keyed".) I opened it up the other day and could find nothing obvious wrong. It is the regular (not TT) rear end.
    I took my shop manual to my friendly local mechanic and told him what I was trying to diagnose. After asking a few questions, He doesn't think it is in the rear end. He started looking into the transmission part of my shop manual and thinks I may have trouble with the front band, servo, or control valve. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    He suggested that I order a pan gasket, filter, servo seals, and valve body gaskets and then bring the Avanti into him. He will put it up on his "extra" lift and tear into it during slack times in the shop.
    I don't want to "rush into it" without getting the opinion of a Studebaker guy, and hopefully one of you folks can point me in the right direction.
    Thanks in advance,
    Duane Miller
    dulymiller@mchsi.com

duane miller

Duane, we need more info on what year of car{Avanti} to know if you have a powershift model or not. It could be a problem with the governor sticky, that is accessed from the outside. Not wanting to rain on your parade, stickey valves canbe caused be two things failure to service the transmission or by debris working its way thru the system. There are no valve body gaskets. For a pan gasket you need one for a Borg - Warner model 8 , filter too. Call Stude Int. or Northwest Transmission Parts 1-800-327-1955 for your needs. Hope this helps Lou Cote

Comment

Drain the rear end, remove the cover and check for loose/broken bolts on the ring gear.I had this problem on my Lark when I first drove it.

Comment

well, that isn't very much information, but I've experienced that exact thing when a transmission was in two gears at once. If third gear is slipping and heats up and sticks, then you would take off in third gear. If it's a second gear start trans, you would be in second and third at the same time, binding up real good. Is reverse delayed? That would indicate a worn reverse/high clutch and would underline a problem in the direct drum.

Comment

Thanks Lou... The transmission is a Powershift in my '63 R1 Avanti.
          Duane

duane miller

Comment

quote:Originally posted by dynolou2

Duane, we need more info on what year of car{Avanti} to know if you have a powershift model or not. It could be a problem with the governor sticky, that is accessed from the outside. Not wanting to rain on your parade, stickey valves canbe caused be two things failure to service the transmission or by debris working its way thru the system. There are no valve body gaskets. For a pan gasket you need one for a Borg - Warner model 8 , filter too. Call Stude Int. or Northwest Transmission Parts 1-800-327-1955 for your needs. Hope this helps Lou Cote
            duane miller

Comment

[quote]quote:Originally posted by Deaf Mute

Originally posted by dynolou2

duane miller
              LOU, it is a 63 Avanti, Powershift transmission. [I hope you get this, I tried finding a link to you but was unsuccessful. My email is dulymiller@mchsi.com Thanks, Duane Miller

duane miller

Comment

A service, band adjustment, also clean the pick up screen. If the screen needs to be cleaned try spray carb cleaner or brake clean spray, blow dry with compressed air. For a quick look into it you can use a Ford FMX pan gasket, filters are different however. Once the pan is off if any large metal debris or fluid that has a metallic sheen to it means- we have a problem. Fine metal debris can pass thru the screen and stick valves in valve body. Also possible but a long shot is a band servo stuck in the on position due to a loose band, cocked in the servo bore. Could use more info- happens cold or hot? What happens if you manually select 1 st then attempt a shift into second or third? Diagnoses by internet is a bit more difficult, but will try to think of cause and effects. Lou Cote

Comment

Working...
                X