Bob Glidden Has Died At 73

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Glidden Has Died At 73

Watched him race many times. Whether you were a fan or not, he was a heck of a force in the heyday of Pro Stock
    Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Wow, I knew he was a dominant racer but never paid a whole lot of attention to him because he did not run Chubbies...had no idea he was SO dominant. Giving the man his dues...RIP Mr. Glidden. The pro-stockers of the 70's...what a show, sad to see what the class has evolved to.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

RIP, Bob.... Ford blue never looked better or went faster at the drags with Bob building and driving.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pile View Post
        RIP, Bob.... Ford blue never looked better or went faster at the drags with Bob building and driving.
        Except for the one year he used a MOPAR and STILL whupped up on everybody.
        Money may not buy happiness, but it's more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle.

Comment

Amazing and exciting career! RIP Bob. I get really nervous when I see guys my age and younger passing.

Comment

RIP, Bob; what a racing gentleman. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
              Amazing and exciting career! RIP Bob. I get really nervous when I see guys my age and younger passing.
              I think that I have gotten used to seeing more than half of the death notices in the local paper are for people who were younger than I am.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As the current owner of a '73 Pinto (turbo, wagon) I am truly saddened by this. More than 40 years ago prior to the Winternationals in Pomona, Irwindale Raceway had what was called "The Winternational Warm-Ups." I remember going out there in my late teens and having idolized Glidden literally stood in front of his car for about 3 hours as he prepped. I think he caught on that I was a star struck teen and occasional would say a little something to me. It was a day I will always remember.

Glidden's win record was legendary. And when one found out that he didn't use an engine stand but rather put motors together on a bench or the floor you couldn't help but think he was your "common man" with great success.
                '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Just commented on this on a friend's post on another venue. Guys like Bob and A.J. Foyt had a combination of B**LS and mechanical knowledge that seemed to become unfashionable in the timeline that led up to my generation. And, sadly, many companies today are looking for the combination of skill and guts that these guys exemplified back in the day. Racing is not for the weak of heart. We need these guys so desperately at the time they are running out of time.

Comment

Working...
                  X