Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A '53 coupe that's not what it seems at a glance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A '53 coupe that's not what it seems at a glance.

Hi

This '53 'coupe' is currently available on a Copart consignment auction. Take a closer look to see what it was originally.

Steve
    Attached Files

I believe that is the same car that was discussed here some time ago. It started out as a sedan, but has interesting lines.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 12-16-2017, 06:23 AM.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Yep, the never-produced 'Club Coupe': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=club+coupe

Craig

Comment

The longer trunk makes it seem like a business coupe.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Nice work. Unusual choice to build though.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Seems like a lot of work to make a car that's not a pretty as a coupe.

It's not ugly , in fact it looks pretty good, just not as pretty, imo.

Comment

It took a lot to make this car. It even came out okay, in my opinion. I just can't imagine much of a market, at least in Studebaker circles, for this car. That is one of the problems in making a car that only the owner could love <G>.

EDIT: I see that it was on eBay during 2017. It started at about $18K and went through several relistings with price reductions until it finally indicates sold at just under $10K last month.
              Last edited by studegary; 12-16-2017, 08:47 AM.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It looks like a four door, with the back door removed, "some" filler panel added and the back window moved forward the same amount of the door location shortening.
                The trunk/rear area hasn't been lengthened, the back window has just been moved forward.

Mike

Comment

On the previous ebay auction it was listed as a "2 door hard top sedan". Interesting.
                  Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                  50 Champion 2 door*
                  53 Commander K Auto*
                  53 Commander K overdrive*
                  55 President Speedster
                  62 GT 4Speed*
                  63 Avanti R1*
                  64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Definately a Business Coupe, I think it looks pretty good.

It probably was a 2 Door Sedan depending on the length of those front doors, it is a bit hard to tell for sure in the pics, if it has the Long 2 Door Sedan Doors.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      Definately a Business Coupe, I think it looks pretty good.

It probably was a 2 Door Sedan depending on the length of those front doors, it is a bit hard to tell for sure in the pics, if it has the Long 2 Door Sedan Doors.
                      I remember seeing several other pictures of this car, maybe they were in the first add, when it was posted on eBay? One of them showed a (4H-W3) body tag, screwed to the firewall. There were a couple shots of the interior as well, that looked like someone did a nice job of cutting the original pieces to fit! Very much like what Studebaker could have done in '53, but the distance between the front seat back and the front of the back seat cushion was quite minimal. Personally, I don't imagine that Studebaker would have sold enough of them to make their production worth while!

Mark
                      sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

The grillframes makes me wonder what happened to the original ones.
                        & it used to be a 4-door, the doors are to short for a 2-door, if you're in doubt just google images.

Comment

Originally posted by Noxnabaker View Post
                          The grillframes makes me wonder what happened to the original ones.
                          I'm not seeing what exactly it is, Noxnabaker, you're saying about the grill frames? They look like the correct F, W & Y body '53 sedan grills, to me?

Mark
                          sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

To compare with:Click image for larger version

Name:	1953-studebaker-champion-starlight-coupe-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	1717577

Comment

Ok, I guess I just wasn't looking very closely, at the first photo? Your right, after looking at it again, more closely, there's something a bit funny going on with them, isn't there? It's pretty hard to see, just exactly what's going on, in that little photo! Looks like maybe, because they lacked a usable set of the correct pieces? They did their best to recreate them. By cutting up sections, of some sort of straight chrome plated material and piecing them together.

Mark
                              Last edited by S2Deluxe; 12-17-2017, 12:55 PM.
                              sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Working...
                              X