Convertible Packard hawk.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible Packard hawk.....

Bid for the chance to own a 1958 Packard Hawk Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #7,341.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Thanks for the update on it: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...wk+convertible

Craig

Comment

Looks better than I expected! Must have been an $$$ expensive conversion.

Comment

I wonder why they think that it has a "fiberglass...trunk lid"?

I guess that it wasn't donated with a provision that it couldn't be sold.
        I never thought that it fitted in with a Packard museum since it was not a production model or even a styling/prototype car.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

This is one really beautiful Packard Hawk.

Apparently, that "STORY" has been propagated ever since our first Post about it here, back in 2007!

It appears there were several owners and at least 2 Museums involved since then, all talking the "Story".

We knew Stan and he never was the "Chief Engineer at Studebaker", he was a Boeing Co. Everett, WA Aircraft Engineer who also built a Landau Removable Top '63 GT Hawk, White with Blue interior.
          So the Car as it now is, has no Connection to Studebaker at all, not a Prototype.

It does make entertaining reading though!
          Last edited by StudeRich; 12-09-2017, 09:41 AM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

No matter what the story is, the car is a LOOKER.
            The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I saw that car this past May when I visited that museum on my way home from South Bend. It is all there, but a little rough around the edges (loose vinyl on the seats, loose fitting convertible top, etc.). What struck me is that it is 3 speed/overdrive car. I had a Packard Hawk back in my youth and it was also a 3 speed/overdrive car. I made an effort to find out how many were manual transmission some time ago and somehow (I don't remember how) was told that there were 26 Packard Hawks built at the factory equipped that way. That would make the one in the museum very rare (manual transmission AND changed into a convertible.
              Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
              '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
              '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
              '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
                I saw that car this past May when I visited that museum on my way home from South Bend. It is all there, but a little rough around the edges (loose vinyl on the seats, loose fitting convertible top, etc.). What struck me is that it is 3 speed/overdrive car. I had a Packard Hawk back in my youth and it was also a 3 speed/overdrive car. I made an effort to find out how many were manual transmission some time ago and somehow (I don't remember how) was told that there were 26 Packard Hawks built at the factory equipped that way. That would make the one in the museum very rare (manual transmission AND changed into a convertible.
                Flightomatic (AT) was standard in Packard Hawks. Overdrive was a no charge option in them. Conventional 3-speed was not available in them.
                I do not remember ever working on, or even seeing, an OD PH.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I wonder why they think that it has a "fiberglass...trunk lid"?
                  Maybe, they were using a magnet on the fake fibreglass spare tire cover, and it didn't stick?

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

I find the '63 Daytona R2 hardtop more intriguing. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...ark-daytona-r/

Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I visited the America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio last summer and saw this car there. It certainly does not look as good in person than it does in this picture. BRNGARAGE has said it correctly. The docent that took me around the museum said that they were have trouble with some stuff on the car. The convertible redesign of the Packard Hawk is really good looking. This one just has some issues some of which are a little deeper than just cosmetic.
                      Last edited by JRoberts; 12-13-2017, 05:16 PM.
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

And the original engine would of course have been and probably still is a 289".

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

It looks somewhat like a Daimler SP250,,

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                            And the original engine would of course have been and probably still is a 289".

jack vines
                            I'm sure that's right, Jack. It's an error that's not that unlikely to be missed, by those who aren't particularly familiar with the history of the Studebaker Packard corporation and the vehicles they actually produced. It does correctly identify the engine, in the BaT essentials section, above in the add.

Mark
                            Last edited by S2Deluxe; 12-10-2017, 06:11 PM.
                            sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                              Flightomatic (AT) was standard in Packard Hawks. Overdrive was a no charge option in them. Conventional 3-speed was not available in them.
                              I do not remember ever working on, or even seeing, an OD PH.
                              Gary you might just want to check you resources. Those 26 3 on the trees were built. They truly are the Rarebirds! I was looking for one to restore and came across a rust free California automatic.
                              sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                              J.D.

Comment

Working...
                              X