Download PDF versions of manuals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download PDF versions of manuals?

From what I understand all Stude manuals are now copyright free, but the prices I see for some seem rather high - the two manuals I need for a 55 truck come to more than $100 - ouch. Are there sources for scans or PDF versions? I don't really need a paper manual or an original printed one.

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum.

Ken, check your PM's (Private Messages) at the top of the page when logged in.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can get the manuals on CD for $19 to $25. For that you'll get all the manuals for a given year (service and parts manuals). I have mine loaded on the computer and print the pages I need when I go out to the garage.
      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
        You can get the manuals on CD for $19 to $25. For that you'll get all the manuals for a given year (service and parts manuals). I have mine loaded on the computer and print the pages I need when I go out to the garage.
        Can you "cut & paste" from the CD to a Word document?
        Peter Bishop

Comment

The ones I have are .pdf....

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
            Can you "cut & paste" from the CD to a Word document?
            I just tried this with my 59-64 shop manual but the .pdf is protected by a password.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
              I just tried this with my 59-64 shop manual but the .pdf is protected by a password.
              What format do you think the manuals are in, Word, Excel, notepad, text file etc.?
              Peter Bishop

Comment

Originally posted by PeterHawk View Post
                What format do you think the manuals are in, Word, Excel, notepad, text file etc.?
                It has been scanned from the original document, so there is no intermediate format. When I got my CD, I printed all sections related to my car and they served me well so far. There is no copy protection for this CD but I made only one copy for office use.
                sigpic

Comment

Someone spent a whole bunch of time and money putting these in CD form. What you are asking is, can I steal somebodys work. ? I buy tons of these from the source for re- sale and have never even thought of copying the work they did because just 'cause I bought one, I can steal? . How dare you?
                  Last edited by (S); 12-11-2017, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
                    Someone spent a whole bunch of time and money putting these in CD form. What you are asking is, can I steal somebodys work. ? I buy tons of these from the source for re- sale and have never even thought of copying the work they did because just 'cause I bought one, I can steal? . How dare you?

I'm not sure this comment was meant for me but, in case of, I just made a copy for MY office and only for MY personal use. Thus, I don't have to take the CD with me when commuting from home to the office. If my memory serves well, you're entitled to have a backup copy, but if I'm wrong, just tell me.
                    Nice day to all.
                    sigpic

Comment

Under copyright law, you are allowed to make a copy of any copyrighted material for your own use.
                      Skip Lackie

Comment

Although the original source material is no longer copyrighted, according to Archive.org and the LoC. I don't mind paying a small fee for a burned CD of PDF files as I'm planning to do, but the idea of paying $70 to 99 for a printed one seems like egregious profiteering.

Comment

Like Ken, I also prefer the printed manuals, and that is a high price to pay. I'd keep looking for used manuals for a good price, either on ebay or Amazon. I also check the used book store, but seldom find car books in there.

Comment

There's a handful of libraries that carry some Studebaker manuals according to online search results, sadly none too near me - not sure if they would do an inter-library loan or not, manuals usually are non-circulating. My cities main library also has a good selection of Studebaker reference material, might be worth checking out.

Comment

In my opinion there is no substitute for an original manual. The pictures are significantly clearer than the reprints. No experience with the disks. Originals come up on ebay regularly, price depends on condition.
                              Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                              50 Champion 2 door*
                              53 Commander K Auto*
                              53 Commander K overdrive*
                              55 President Speedster
                              62 GT 4Speed*
                              63 Avanti R1*
                              64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...