61 Hawk Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 61 Hawk Radio

When I built my car I installed a Retrosound radio. It fit nice but never looked right. The first year the car didn't see much use because I was constantly addressing some issue. This year I was finally able to enjoy the car and get it out quite a bit. My new Retrosound radio quit about mid year.

I have been thinking about having an original radio retrofitted with modern "innards" so it will look right and give me more than just AM reception. I dug out what I thought was the original radio and discovered it was actually a 59 radio according to the parts book. Therefore I have two requests:

Anyone know a vendor that has a bunch of radios where I could buy a correct core to have refurbished?

Could someone please post a photo of their 61 Hawk radio so I will know what it is supposed to look like so I can buy the right core?
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

The Push button portion of the Faceplate, Mounting Plate and Hole in the Dash got DEEPER in '58 I think? I would think '58 to '61 Hawk Radios would work, but Bud is the expert here not me.

I do know that 1961 and or '62 was the First Semi-Transistor Stude. Radio, so that alone would roll the AC Part number. But just about every Year for Sedan, Lark, Hawk units the Number rolled.
    The '63-'66 all share the same basic shape and are Fully Transistorized, no Tubes but a different FIT.

If you PM "Bud" here on the Forum he can help, he rebuilds these Radios.

UPDATE: I found his Profile for you with a Member Search:

Last edited by StudeRich; 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM. Reason: Added New Data in Maroon.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 1959 and 1960 radios are interchangeable and so is the 1961 radio, but the dial face on the 61 radios are white while the 59 and 60 radios are black. You can use a 1958 radio if you can find one that doesn't have the push buttons completely destroyed. The manual tuning 1958 radios will work, but they are fully vacuum tube and are larger than than the later hybrid models. The radios are also the same for either the Hawks or Larks with a minor difference in the rear mounting bracket. I'll have to check my stock, but I should have a rebuilt manual tuning radio for a 1961. If you don't want to go to the expense of having the radio completely rebuilt with a modern printed circuit board installed, you can also use a RediRad converter which plugs in between the antenna lead and the radio allowing you to use an Ipod, XM radio or phone with your original radio and the cost is around 100 bucks. Bud

Comment

61 is the last year of the fat push buttons and the only year that the fat push buttons were black. 58-60 have fat white push buttons that rot away from the sun.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          The Push button portion of the Faceplate, Mounting Plate and Hole in the Dash got DEEPER in '58 I think? I would think '58 to '61 Hawk Radios would work, but Bud is the expert here not me.

I do know that 1961 and or '62 was the First Semi-Transistor Stude. Radio, so that alone would roll the AC Part number. But just about every Year for Sedan, Lark, Hawk units the Number rolled.
          The '63-'66 all share the same basic shape and are Fully Transistorized, no Tubes but a different FIT.

If you PM "Bud" here on the Forum he can help, he rebuilds these Radios.

UPDATE: I found his Profile for you with a Member Search:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...r.php?3995-Bud
          1958 Studebakers and Packards had radios with transistorized power supplies (the Signal Seeker and the push button, not the manual tune [only in Studebakers]).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

wdills, check your pm's. I'll soon have a '61 Hawk radio available.

Comment

Working...
            X