My 74 Avanti sees the light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 74 Avanti sees the light

We've had a decent spell of weather for November (Temps generally in the 40's) and I've made decent progress on the 74 Avanti. In fact enough to drive it into the fall sunshine.

About 4 years ago, I brought home this 1974 350? (yup 350) powered 4-speed that has had better days. Hog troughs gone, rusty frame, paint totally bad, reeking of smoke-mold-mothballs but it was a dream to have a 4-speed SBC powered Dayton Yellow painted "muscle car" for the last time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0727.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1756211 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0743.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1756212

It spent about a year on the hoist to replace the hog troughs, repair the frame and rebuild the rear end with a 3:55 posi.

It was then rolled into the pole barn to start engine work and prep for paint. My initial plan was to have a 400 SBC built and just rebuild the 4-speed until a T-56 fell into my hands from Craigslist. The engine plans changed when a friend bought a Firebird for the body because the PO had installed a 383 stroker motor and couldn't get it to run right. He bought it cheap as the PO just wanted it gone and I got the engine for a song.

The paint took ages to scrape of by hand, the sanding and filling took more time and finally I sprayed the paint and installed engine and T-56 with a complete new universal wiring harness installed. The interior was upgraded in a lot of ways. All the changes and installs are documented in posts on the forum.

Today she rolled out of the pole barn under her own power. My intent was to terrorize the neighborhood but a bubble must have formed in the brake lines as the peddle was to low to trust.

The good news - it fired right up, heated up to about 200 and the fan kicked on and cycled it between 190-200 deg. All the safety switches worked, gauges read out except the fuel gauge (I missed on guessing the resistance of the sender but that's just a switch) and the alternator must be bad as the voltage is to low for it to be charging.

Bad news - as above brakes, alternator and gas guage.

Let's look

I can put her to bed now as the weather is turning to winter with the excitement of adding the lights and bumpers in the spring and repairing the minor issues I found today.

Avanti, Bob

If you haven't wasted enough of your time here's the engine start up a couple of days ago. No Canon in D for these posts, just good engine sounds. Only one video per post.

I know the engine has temp so it's not the cold start, that took a couple of minutes to futzing before I took this.

Bob

Comment

Well done Bob. Looks good, sounds gooder. Super clean underhood.

Comment

Nice work Bob...like your attention to detail! What camshaft is in the 383...idles like the sbc in my truck (which my son in law's father says sound like horses galloping, lol). Where does the exhaust exit? Did you fab the dash or what was the doner car? Does the other 'vanti and 54 get regular exercise, or are they gathering dust? So many questions, such little time. Betcha spring can't come early enough for you. Cheers, junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Good on you Bob. It's always a great pleasure to see another of our (National?) treasures return to the road. I too am hoping that 2018 will finally see the return of my 1970 to the road after far too many decades of inactivity and deviation from my original plans. I'm envious as hell.
          Cheers, Bill

Comment

Sweet! Love to see progress!
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks folks, much appreciated.

Junior
              - The cam is a Lunati VooDoo 2 hydraulic flat lifter kit which I chose after talking to several cam companies.
              - Dash is out of an 89 Avanti, modified to my liking and covered by a local upholstery shop.
              - Exhaust just dumps in front of the rear axle until I figure out the rest. Visualizing something like a NASCAR Boom Tube setup on a smaller scale on each side.
              - I'm afraid the others didn't see much sunshine either this year. Slower than I used to be.

Bill- Keep forging on, you're always one day closer to the end.

Bob

Comment

Rear end

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                We've had a decent spell of weather for November (Temps generally in the 40's) and I've made decent progress on the 74 Avanti. In fact enough to drive it into the fall sunshine.

About 4 years ago, I brought home this 1974 350? (yup 350) powered 4-speed that has had better days. Hog troughs gone, rusty frame, paint totally bad, reeking of smoke-mold-mothballs but it was a dream to have a 4-speed SBC powered Dayton Yellow painted "muscle car" for the last time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68909[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]68910[/ATTACH]

It spent about a year on the hoist to replace the hog troughs, repair the frame and rebuild the rear end with a 3:55 posi.

It was then rolled into the pole barn to start engine work and prep for paint. My initial plan was to have a 400 SBC built and just rebuild the 4-speed until a T-56 fell into my hands from Craigslist. The engine plans changed when a friend bought a Firebird for the body because the PO had installed a 383 stroker motor and couldn't get it to run right. He bought it cheap as the PO just wanted it gone and I got the engine for a song.

The paint took ages to scrape of by hand, the sanding and filling took more time and finally I sprayed the paint and installed engine and T-56 with a complete new universal wiring harness installed. The interior was upgraded in a lot of ways. All the changes and installs are documented in posts on the forum.

Today she rolled out of the pole barn under her own power. My intent was to terrorize the neighborhood but a bubble must have formed in the brake lines as the peddle was to low to trust.

The good news - it fired right up, heated up to about 200 and the fan kicked on and cycled it between 190-200 deg. All the safety switches worked, gauges read out except the fuel gauge (I missed on guessing the resistance of the sender but that's just a switch) and the alternator must be bad as the voltage is to low for it to be charging.

Bad news - as above brakes, alternator and gas guage.

Let's look

I can put her to bed now as the weather is turning to winter with the excitement of adding the lights and bumpers in the spring and repairing the minor issues I found today.

Avanti, Bob

Hi Bob, What Posi did you use, I am thinking about putting one in my 1974 Avanti. My rear. end is still the original.

Comment

Chuck, I used an Auburn unit in my 83 with the 355 roller cam engine, 2004R and 4:10 gears and it's held up well. I bought it from a local builder and he installed it for me in the OEM 44.

The 74 has Dana/Spacer trac-lok that I bought used and rebuilt and installed myself. I can't say how well it does as it has essentially no miles other than a few burnouts on the road I live on but so far so good.

I would think in this day and age, most good commercial or the OEM posi's should handle a fairly stock SBC just fine.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X