It's Back! 52 4 door hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Back! 52 4 door hardtop

I think we have discussed this car before. At any rate it has been for sale for a while. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Studeb...NaELIu&vxp=mtr Some elements I like and some leave me cold. Given current trends, at this point I would use a 50-51 front cap even though I am used to the stock 52 treatment. What say you?
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

I don't see a reserve so if it goes for the $5K or so it could be a nice car. As a four door, it doesn't quite do it for me but the advantage of this car is the front doors are long enough to look in proportion when the rear doors are welded up. That would also help with body rigidity.

Overall a good start. The front end needs some help but again a decent grill option would go a long way.

Realistically, a really good start for the money.

Bob

Comment

"Been for sale for a while"?....been follow Craigslist San Francisco for years and have many of the same cars have been for sale..."for years".
      Lou Van Anne
      62 Champ
      64 R2 GT Hawk
      79 Avanti II

Comment

Hard to see the straight on front end view and the side view, those pics seem so heavily shaded.
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Take the body off and put something decent on there.

Comment

I think the front end treatment could be good, if properly finished. I don't like the fat windshield divider bar. Instrument panel looks hokey; just a board with gauges in it screwed over the opening in the dash.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

How would you get the glass in the front and rear doors to meet together and also meet to the A-pillar?
              I won't get into the ad itself with its "restoration" and "create engine".
              There is a lot done there. I agree that another body may be the best solution to this puzzle.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

How much structural strength has been lost by removing the centre door pillars? The driver's rear visibility is virtually nil --- it won't look great with mirrors big enough to be safe. How would window raising/lowering mechanisms be created, especially for the rear doors? The angle of the grille and front bumper make it look like they were folded under when the car rear-ended something. In the past I have owned some strange-looking beasts (1939 Willys-Overland sedan, 1947 Cadillac 8-door airport limousine) --- even their problems looked easier to solve.
                Bill Jarvis

Comment

Time and energy was taken to remove the B pillar to clean up the lines, but then, cluttered up the windshield by adding a center pillar.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Some of the pictures show the car without the windshield divider. I'll bet that was an attempt to make glass easier to fit and then he gave up on the project.
                    The part I like best is the rear 3/4 view. The top looks like a Carson padded top. Unfortunately, without big mirrors he would need a rear facing camera.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I agree with gordr / #6.
                      But as for the b-pillar... the bottom part is probably still there & if so there might be stuff done with it for strength?

Comment

Working...
                      X