Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 1958 Studebaker president I think with a 1958 packard front end fenders hood and other parts I need parts for this car doors floor boards rocker panels if some one can send me in the right way to find the stuff I need that would be great
    thanks shawn

Welcome to SDC and to the Forum Shawn!

What makes you think it is not a '58 Packard? If the Serial number on the drivers' door post starts with a 58L it is a Packard.

If you join SDC from this forum you can get a discount as a new member, then when you get the monthly publication Turning Wheels you will have access to many vendors selling some of these items. The floor panels will be, and rocker panels may be available at Classic Enterprises, the large parts are going to be a bit harder, you will need to buy a parts car or find someone parting one out. You can keep checking ebay.

In order for anyone to help, they would need to know what body style you have, it's on the body tag on the firewall under the hood on the right, but it will tell you what you should already know: 2 Dr. Hardtop (J), 4 Door Sedan (Y) or 4 dr. Wagon. (P)

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the Forum Shawn!

What makes you think it is not a '58 Packard? If the Serial number on the drivers' door post starts with a 58L it is a Packard.

If you join SDC from this forum you can get a discount as a new member, then when you get the monthly publication Turning Wheels you will have access to many vendors selling some of these items. The floor panels will be, and rocker panels may be available at Classic Enterprises, the large parts are going to be a bit harder, you will need to buy a parts car or find someone parting one out. You can keep checking ebay.

In order for anyone to help, they would need to know what body style you have, it's on the body tag on the firewall under the hood on the right, but it will tell you what you should already know: 2 Dr. Hardtop (J), 4 Door Sedan (Y) or 4 dr. Wagon. (P)

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Welcome, Shawn!

By all means join SDC for $19.95

One Issue of TURNING WHEELS magazine will supply you with more links than we could supply in a week of responses.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome, Shawn!

By all means join SDC for $19.95

One Issue of TURNING WHEELS magazine will supply you with more links than we could supply in a week of responses.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Shawn... I can only echo what Rich and Brad have already said.

<h5>Mark
            '57 Transtar
            3E-6/7-122
            </h5>
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Welcome to the Forum, Shawn... I can only echo what Rich and Brad have already said.

<h5>Mark
              '57 Transtar
              3E-6/7-122
              </h5>
              Mark Hayden
              '66 Commander

Comment

Shawn are you able to post a picture or two? I have fenders for both 58 Packards and 58 Studebakers. I am willing to deal on the Studebaker stuff, but not the Packard. I need them for my upcoming restorations. Fenders are very tough to pack. Do you live around MN so that you could pick them up? Also it might be a good idea to post the serial number (inside drivers door between the hinges) and the body # (rear firewall) so that we can accurately decipher what you have.....Stude or Packard. Thanks

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                62 Daytona (White)
                63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

Shawn are you able to post a picture or two? I have fenders for both 58 Packards and 58 Studebakers. I am willing to deal on the Studebaker stuff, but not the Packard. I need them for my upcoming restorations. Fenders are very tough to pack. Do you live around MN so that you could pick them up? Also it might be a good idea to post the serial number (inside drivers door between the hinges) and the body # (rear firewall) so that we can accurately decipher what you have.....Stude or Packard. Thanks

58 Packard Wgn (Parade Red)
                  58 Packard Wgn (Park Green)
                  58 Packard Sdn (Shadowtone Red)
                  62 Daytona (White)
                  63 R2 Lark (Super Red)

Comment

I came across an interesting item in my junque collection while looking for something else. I have a two-page communication to area dealers from the New York Zone Office of the Studebaker-Packard Corp. It is dated November 28, 1958. The communication lists the number of unsold 1958 models still available at the Zone office location. I have to use the period character to keep everything in a column.

Four (4) Scotsman 2 door sedans-Model GF1

Serial number...... Color......Equipment
                    G1433873........... P5821......17-50
                    G1233922........... P5824......17
                    G1231504........... P5810......17
                    G1232455........... P5824......17

Three (3) Champion 2 door sedans-Model GF4

G1433745........... P5838......17-41-42-50-57-60-66
                    G1432645........... P5812......17-60
                    G1433376........... P5818......17-21-60

Two (2) President 4 door sedans-Model HY6

7219343............ P5820......17-42-55-60
                    7219338............ P5860......17-42-55-60

Three (3) President 2 door hardtops-Model HJ6

7219419............ P5848......17-33-41-55-60
                    7219358............ P5833......17-41-55-60
                    7219252............ P5815......17-35-42-55-60

Eight Econ-O-Miler taxis-Model GY1

G1433617........... Beige.................HD-19-27-60
                    G1433231........... Beige/Shadowtone......HD-19-60
                    G1433289........... Beige/White...........HD-19-60
                    G1433070........... Shadowtone/White......HD-19-60
                    G1433547........... Shadowtone............HD-19-27-60
                    G1433558........... Shadowtone............HD-19-60
                    G1433437........... Shadowtone/White......HD-19-27-60
                    G1433149........... Beige/Shadowtone......HD-19-60

The New York Zone office covered all of the New England States as well as New York City. By the end of November 1958, the NEW Studebaker Lark had been in dealer showrooms for two months. As noted in the letter, the dealers were selling Larks faster than the factory could deliver. Remember, our ecomony was just pulling out of a sharp recession in mid-1958 that spelled eventual doom for the new Edsel and the deSoto. November 1958 was the hey-day for Ramblers, Larks and Volkswagens.
                    Included in the letter (highlighted in pencil by the dealer or sales manager) was a "hint-hint" mentioning that the Zone Office was stuck with left-over, big '58 models and 'Hey, fellas, we've got to move these things!'
                    Remember, too, that 1958 was the worst sales year over for Studebaker. Except for the Hawk line, the regular Studebaker cars were not known for their attractiveness. Add-on headlight pods and tail fins were somewhat garish. The only '58 models that sold well were the three Scotsman models introduced as 1957 1/2 models.
                    What the New York Zone Office was stuck with were 20 'dawgs'! The GF1's were stripped two-door Scotsman models-no options. Code 17 meant 3-speed manual transmission. No radios, no overdrives, no heaters. Of the 20 cars on the back lot, eight were taxicabs-GY1. At least they were equipped with heavy duty automatic transmissions (code HD-19) and Climatizers (code 60). All of the Presidents and Champions remaining had 3-speed manuals with few options except Climatizers. One of the Champion 2 doors was nicely equipped, at least.
                    With the new, attractive Larks on the showroom floors, what dealer would want one of these cars. I suppose these were finally sold, some perhaps because of healthy discounts and/or long waiting periods for a Lark. I wonder what other Zone offices had in their back lots? Do any of you own one of these cars?

Frank Drumheller
                    Louisa, VA
                    '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                    '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

I came across an interesting item in my junque collection while looking for something else. I have a two-page communication to area dealers from the New York Zone Office of the Studebaker-Packard Corp. It is dated November 28, 1958. The communication lists the number of unsold 1958 models still available at the Zone office location. I have to use the period character to keep everything in a column.

Four (4) Scotsman 2 door sedans-Model GF1

Serial number...... Color......Equipment
                      G1433873........... P5821......17-50
                      G1233922........... P5824......17
                      G1231504........... P5810......17
                      G1232455........... P5824......17

Three (3) Champion 2 door sedans-Model GF4

G1433745........... P5838......17-41-42-50-57-60-66
                      G1432645........... P5812......17-60
                      G1433376........... P5818......17-21-60

Two (2) President 4 door sedans-Model HY6

7219343............ P5820......17-42-55-60
                      7219338............ P5860......17-42-55-60

Three (3) President 2 door hardtops-Model HJ6

7219419............ P5848......17-33-41-55-60
                      7219358............ P5833......17-41-55-60
                      7219252............ P5815......17-35-42-55-60

Eight Econ-O-Miler taxis-Model GY1

G1433617........... Beige.................HD-19-27-60
                      G1433231........... Beige/Shadowtone......HD-19-60
                      G1433289........... Beige/White...........HD-19-60
                      G1433070........... Shadowtone/White......HD-19-60
                      G1433547........... Shadowtone............HD-19-27-60
                      G1433558........... Shadowtone............HD-19-60
                      G1433437........... Shadowtone/White......HD-19-27-60
                      G1433149........... Beige/Shadowtone......HD-19-60

The New York Zone office covered all of the New England States as well as New York City. By the end of November 1958, the NEW Studebaker Lark had been in dealer showrooms for two months. As noted in the letter, the dealers were selling Larks faster than the factory could deliver. Remember, our ecomony was just pulling out of a sharp recession in mid-1958 that spelled eventual doom for the new Edsel and the deSoto. November 1958 was the hey-day for Ramblers, Larks and Volkswagens.
                      Included in the letter (highlighted in pencil by the dealer or sales manager) was a "hint-hint" mentioning that the Zone Office was stuck with left-over, big '58 models and 'Hey, fellas, we've got to move these things!'
                      Remember, too, that 1958 was the worst sales year over for Studebaker. Except for the Hawk line, the regular Studebaker cars were not known for their attractiveness. Add-on headlight pods and tail fins were somewhat garish. The only '58 models that sold well were the three Scotsman models introduced as 1957 1/2 models.
                      What the New York Zone Office was stuck with were 20 'dawgs'! The GF1's were stripped two-door Scotsman models-no options. Code 17 meant 3-speed manual transmission. No radios, no overdrives, no heaters. Of the 20 cars on the back lot, eight were taxicabs-GY1. At least they were equipped with heavy duty automatic transmissions (code HD-19) and Climatizers (code 60). All of the Presidents and Champions remaining had 3-speed manuals with few options except Climatizers. One of the Champion 2 doors was nicely equipped, at least.
                      With the new, attractive Larks on the showroom floors, what dealer would want one of these cars. I suppose these were finally sold, some perhaps because of healthy discounts and/or long waiting periods for a Lark. I wonder what other Zone offices had in their back lots? Do any of you own one of these cars?

Frank Drumheller
                      Louisa, VA
                      '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                      '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Hi Frank

Thanks for putting up that list, I'd go for one of those stick shift '58 President hardtops, whichever one has overdrive as well. I looked up the color code, one is Jewel Beige with Canyon Copper Metallic accents, striking!

I'm not surprised to see that many '58 models leftover given the low demand for them during the selling season. One would think that management would have curtailed production even earlier in 1958, perhaps only built cars with firm orders. I would guess that when those cars were finally sold, especially the Economilers, they showed a loss on most of them, substantially so on the taxis and Presidents.

Still, I'd love to have one of the Presidents!!

If anyone else has a zone notice like this for that 1956-58 period, please run it here.
                        Steve

Comment

Hi Frank

Thanks for putting up that list, I'd go for one of those stick shift '58 President hardtops, whichever one has overdrive as well. I looked up the color code, one is Jewel Beige with Canyon Copper Metallic accents, striking!

I'm not surprised to see that many '58 models leftover given the low demand for them during the selling season. One would think that management would have curtailed production even earlier in 1958, perhaps only built cars with firm orders. I would guess that when those cars were finally sold, especially the Economilers, they showed a loss on most of them, substantially so on the taxis and Presidents.

Still, I'd love to have one of the Presidents!!

If anyone else has a zone notice like this for that 1956-58 period, please run it here.
                          Steve

Comment

Shwan~ any word yet on what you have may there? When/if you find out, please send me the information. I'm keeping a Registry of sorts for all '56-'58 Studebaker and Packard sedans. The addie is: studedavesregistry 'at' sbcglobal.net If you search his Forum for 'Registry' you'll be able to learn more about what I'm looking for.

As cool as a hardtop would be, think of this~ when was the last time you saw a '58 Champion 2 door sedan? If you had it now it'd be one of a very few left these days!!! I've been an SDC Member for just over 20 years, and can only think of about three that I've ever seen!!! Only one of them was road-worthy. [:0] [V]

I'll check the serial numbers on my Registry tonight to see if any of these cars are on it. I don't have too many '58s on the list~ but I suppose there is a chance, right [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]
                            V/P San Diego County SDC
                            San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                            '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                            '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                            '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                            '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                            '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                            SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC
                            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Shwan~ any word yet on what you have may there? When/if you find out, please send me the information. I'm keeping a Registry of sorts for all '56-'58 Studebaker and Packard sedans. The addie is: studedavesregistry 'at' sbcglobal.net If you search his Forum for 'Registry' you'll be able to learn more about what I'm looking for.

As cool as a hardtop would be, think of this~ when was the last time you saw a '58 Champion 2 door sedan? If you had it now it'd be one of a very few left these days!!! I've been an SDC Member for just over 20 years, and can only think of about three that I've ever seen!!! Only one of them was road-worthy. [:0] [V]

I'll check the serial numbers on my Registry tonight to see if any of these cars are on it. I don't have too many '58s on the list~ but I suppose there is a chance, right [?] [?] [?]

StudeDave [8D]
                              V/P San Diego County SDC
                              San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                              '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                              '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                              '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                              '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                              '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                              StudeDave '57
                              US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                              SDC Member since 1985

past President
                              Whatcom County Chapter SDC