New Front springs installed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Front springs installed question

The springs in the 53 were Champion springs with 8 coils. I found a set of V8 springs with 9 coils. There is no engine, transmission, doors, fenders. Rolling frame with cab on it. The springs are very tight and curved in the front end. When I get on the front end frame and bounce there is no give at all. When everything is back on the car including the 289 and flightomatic will the springs give or are they just too much and need to be cut?
    Jim
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Everything is normal.

Comment

A rough guess of the engine/trans weight is about 800-850 pounds. Unless a fork lift is needed to move you around you don't come near to that weight. While cutting the spring will lower the car that also makes them stiffer. Wait until everything is installed (fluids included) before you get overly concern about it.
      '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Cutting them to the correct lenght won't change the rate. I'm afraid if you use them you will have a very harsh ride

Comment

When I dropped the 298.7 Stude. V8 in my Champion Starliner, the Original 10 year old springs just collapsed.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Cutting a coil spring WILL change its rate. Each coil contributes to the total characteristics of the spring. If you have a 10 coil spring and cut off one coil, it will be 10% stiffer.
            Think of a coil spring as a torsion bar, only wound up. If you shorten a given torsion bar, it will be more stiff.
            But back to the original question, it’s sounds as if everything is normal and should be fine after the engine installation.

Comment

Something I learned while restoring a 69 Olds Delta 88, when I went to install brand new front springs, I placed the new springs beside the old springs, and the new ones were shorter!!! I went back to the supplier, and it turns out that new springs are shorter because they have tension in them, while the old springs are a bit taller because they have lost tension and the spring is becoming "unwound". The new springs raised the front end of the Olds up considerably and improved the handling and driving. Just my 2 cents worth about springs.

Comment

Working...
              X