True R2/R3 Oil Pan Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: True R2/R3 Oil Pan Questions

I have an original R2 pan. It is toast but all there. Bottom rotted out, patched and rotted out again. I did some deconstruction to get accurate dimensions for the right side baffle, only drilled the spot welds, no axe murdering. The windage tray is spot welded in as well like the side baffling. This is a 5 quart pan.

Here is the question,

Did Studebaker ever make a "production", deeper, 6-quart pan or were they all hand made by adding on to the 5 quart stocker? I need to do an R2 re-pop for a friend and I was just curious on the number of 6 quart pans built by the factory.

JK

All R3-4-5 pans were done at Paxton Products in Santa Monica, up until April of 1969. Joe had pallets of R1-R2 pans from the factory that he had made into R3-R4 pans cutting one 1/2" short and another 1/2" long and making one weld. He changed to adding a 1.125" strip and cutting the pans at 6.600" from the pan flange, from the outside. He did that about the middle of 68 when he started to run out of pans since it took 2 pans to make one and he scraped out the odd parts. That made 2 welds on the late pans.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
      All R3-4-5 pans were done at Paxton Products in Santa Monica, up until April of 1969. Joe had pallets of R1-R2 pans from the factory that he had made into R3-R4 pans cutting one 1/2" short and another 1/2" long and making one weld. He changed to adding a 1.125" strip and cutting the pans at 6.600" from the pan flange, from the outside. He did that about the middle of 68 when he started to run out of pans since it took 2 pans to make one and he scraped out the odd parts. That made 2 welds on the late pans.
      Alan modestly forwent mention that he welded most of the R3 pans at Paxton and then continued making them for Lionel Stone.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

So then all that said is it correct to say that the Studebaker factory never made a 6-quart pan and the few that were made were all sort of aftermarket?

Jack I do not need the tray right now as I have one of Alan's as well as the rear bolt on tray but I would like to know if you still sell them? I can make my own and have made the drawings but it may be more economical to buy something already made. I also need the inner baffle and anchor plate for the breather tube. Jack do you or does anyone else make the anchor plate or baffle for the breather tube? Again I have made drawings of the parts but would rather buy if they are available and reasonable. I have no intent to go into production, just only to build a few for me and a friend.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
          So then all that said is it correct to say that the Studebaker factory never made a 6-quart pan and the few that were made were all sort of aftermarket? JK
          IIRC, the early V8 pans were 6-quart and a one piece stamping, but shaped differently than the fabricated R3 6 quart pans.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Just to be clear on this, a R3 pan is a 1/2" deeper than a standard pan? I have an R1 pan I would like to modify but I was not aware of the depth dimension to be added. Are the baffles the same in R1/R2? I have many years of TIG welding stainless, so this would be easy. Would the oil pickup have to be extended down deeper into the pan also?

Comment

The sump extension is at least 1" deeper, The 1/2" is on each end (sump and original pan) if I understand correctly. Yes, you would need to extend the pickup, and keep the intake screen about 1/4" off the bottom. Some of the R3s I've worked on also had an oil temp sending unit bung welded into the side of the pan. The baffles look the same to me. I have added rear baffles on one to prevent oil from climbing the back of the pan on hard launches.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have all the parts for the R pans.

Comment

Alan,

Can you PM me your phone number and / or email. I want to discuss buying some part to build 3 pans.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                  X