Studebaker buggy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker buggy

Does anyone here know how to identify a Studebaker buggy ca. 1895? No markings except a 3 digit number on one of the springs. Owner was told it's a Studebaker based on the seat cushions. Any thing unique to it?=Jim

Pull the wheels, the axle should be stamped with the Studebaker name where the hub rides. Of course, Studebaker sold axles to other manufacturers so the buggy could be made by someone else. It should also have Studebaker embossed on the steps and a tag at the back.

Comment

Pull the seat cushions and look at the base. There might be a button attached by a single nail These were placed by the regional sales locations. Seat Cushions are not a detail that would seem reliable to me. Usually the base is lost or replaced by a rather inferior imitation. It is rare (and very desirable in my books) that the original seat base still exists. If it does, look it over carefully. The bottom of the cushion frame will be stamped from the factory. However after a hundred twenty years or so, the ink could be faded beyond any recognition. But if the original cushion is there, chances are the button will be also.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
      X