C-Cab Instrument panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-Cab Instrument panels?

I note that there is a C-Cab instrument panel for sale on eBay, I have attached a photo below... I note that the matting is a greenish colour and the indicators on the gauges are red. I have seen the same instrument panels with a beige matting and the indicators on the gauges were off white. I know they used this style of gauge from '54 to '56 in C-Cabs and again from '60 to '64 - Is this the later or earlier version? Was there ever any interchange?

<h5>Mark
    '57 Transtar
    3E-6/7-122
    </h5>
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander

The greenish color is just due to sun fading. The originals were black or very dark gray. I think all the gauge pointers were red, though they can fade to a pinkish grey. I don't have my parts book handy, but I believe the the speedo and the mechanical gauges interchange. The gas gauge and the ammeter are different due to the voltage change in 56. The 6v ammeter will work on 12 volts, but it won't move very far.

The layout of the switches was different between the early and late dash panels. For example, the light switch (that turns) is over the ignition switch on the early dash. The more modern pull-type light switch is on the left on the later trucks. The separate dash light rheostat that was used on the early trucks was not present on the later models. If there's a picture of the whole panel, the presence or absence of the three holes on the lower left of the panel is usually a good indicator of whether it's an early or late dash.

Skip Lackie
    Washington DC
    Skip Lackie

Comment

The greenish color is just due to sun fading. The originals were black or very dark gray. I think all the gauge pointers were red, though they can fade to a pinkish grey. I don't have my parts book handy, but I believe the the speedo and the mechanical gauges interchange. The gas gauge and the ammeter are different due to the voltage change in 56. The 6v ammeter will work on 12 volts, but it won't move very far.

The layout of the switches was different between the early and late dash panels. For example, the light switch (that turns) is over the ignition switch on the early dash. The more modern pull-type light switch is on the left on the later trucks. The separate dash light rheostat that was used on the early trucks was not present on the later models. If there's a picture of the whole panel, the presence or absence of the three holes on the lower left of the panel is usually a good indicator of whether it's an early or late dash.

Skip Lackie
      Washington DC
      Skip Lackie

Comment

The early Trucks had Radiometers, not Electric Temp gauges, but the face looks the same.

Those needles have all been repainted, because the face is faded a bit and they are not, gauges could have been replaced but not the matching Speedometer with all those miles!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The early Trucks had Radiometers, not Electric Temp gauges, but the face looks the same.

Those needles have all been repainted, because the face is faded a bit and they are not, gauges could have been replaced but not the matching Speedometer with all those miles!

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mark,

That set of gauges looks just like my '55 did before I "restored" it. I say "restored", because I had to go with something different than the cross hatch pattern. There was no way I could duplicate it.
            (now that I've read your post below, I see I may have been able to get what I need from SASCO to restore it correctly - oops!)

So, here's an original, faded one - the photo you showed:

Here is mine after some of the "resto-modification" was done:

And finally, here's the way mine looks after completion and installation. Since my truck was already converted to 12v by the PO, I bought an aftermarket voltmeter and whittled and fabricated on it until it fit where the ammeter was. And it's got a NOS 12v fuel gauge in place of the former 6v version. As for the location of the switches, don't go by mine if you want authenticity - I don't think they're all in the correct places.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
            Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Mark,

That set of gauges looks just like my '55 did before I "restored" it. I say "restored", because I had to go with something different than the cross hatch pattern. There was no way I could duplicate it.
              (now that I've read your post below, I see I may have been able to get what I need from SASCO to restore it correctly - oops!)

So, here's an original, faded one - the photo you showed:

Here is mine after some of the "resto-modification" was done:

And finally, here's the way mine looks after completion and installation. Since my truck was already converted to 12v by the PO, I bought an aftermarket voltmeter and whittled and fabricated on it until it fit where the ammeter was. And it's got a NOS 12v fuel gauge in place of the former 6v version. As for the location of the switches, don't go by mine if you want authenticity - I don't think they're all in the correct places.

[img=left]http://simps.us/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]
              Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Mark,
                Paul Simpson
                "DilloCrafter"
                Interesting you would say that Paul... SASCO still lists the matting for this instrument cluster as "available" on their website. I have an older cluster like this in my garage, but the matting is definitely a brown/beige colour while the one I have posted is clearly green. I am uncertain that one of these is simple a faded colour of the other... hence my original questions.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DilloCrafter

Mark,
                  Paul Simpson
                  "DilloCrafter"
                  Interesting you would say that Paul... SASCO still lists the matting for this instrument cluster as "available" on their website. I have an older cluster like this in my garage, but the matting is definitely a brown/beige colour while the one I have posted is clearly green. I am uncertain that one of these is simple a faded colour of the other... hence my original questions.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander

Comment

I see we are having the out of sync posting mix-up again! Thanks for the post Paul, helps to explain how it worked.

<h5>Mark
                    '57 Transtar
                    3E-6/7-122
                    </h5>
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander

Comment

I see we are having the out of sync posting mix-up again! Thanks for the post Paul, helps to explain how it worked.

<h5>Mark
                      '57 Transtar
                      3E-6/7-122
                      </h5>
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander

Comment

Mark-
                        I found the listing on ebay and looked at the other pictures. FWIW, on the basis of the interior light dimmer and the fact that the temp gauge is mechanical, I think she's right that it's from a 55, which would make it 6v.

I can't explain the brown one you have -- have never seen one of those.

AT the SB meet, SASCO had NOS background mats, chrome frames, and even the panel with the holes in it (though these differ from year to year) for sale.

Paul-
                        Gorgeous job on your dash!

Skip Lackie
                        Washington DC
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

Mark-
                          I found the listing on ebay and looked at the other pictures. FWIW, on the basis of the interior light dimmer and the fact that the temp gauge is mechanical, I think she's right that it's from a 55, which would make it 6v.

AT the SB meet, SASCO had NOS background mats, chrome frames, and even the panel with the holes in it (though these differ from year to year) for sale.

Paul-
                          Gorgeous job on your dash!

Skip Lackie
                          Washington DC
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Mark-

Skip Lackie
                            Washington DC
                            Here's one from behind!!

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie

Mark-

Skip Lackie
                              Washington DC
                              Here's one from behind!!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X