Scarce 1930's Studebaker "Distinguished Service" medallion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarce 1930's Studebaker "Distinguished Service" medallion

I believe this medal to be one of the more scarce ever presented by Studebaker. Evidence suggests that it was awarded only to long-time salesmen who had established themselves to be the best of the best. While most such awards were tied to achieving a certain selling quota there is no evidence that this was the case with this award. The medals were 1 1/8” in diameter (29mm) and made of bronze.

The medallion has an interesting history in itself. The obverse side was designed by Lithuania born Victor D. Brenner a noted sculptor, engraver and “medalist.” If you have heard of him you may be a numismatist since he also created the design for the Lincoln penny in 1909. In fact his initials (V.D.B.) can be found on the reverse side of many of the first coins to be minted (still to be seen on Lincoln’s shoulder).

His artistic rendition showing lady liberty standing in a boat while landing was created during WWI on contract for a client who decided not to use it. The Medallic Art Co. who had originally solicited the design nevertheless included it in their standard catalog of designs and it was reportedly chosen by other clients in the 1920’s and 30’s (Brenner died in 1924). Studebaker was a client of Medallic Art and chose the design in 1933 to be incorporated into a medallion with a Distinguished Service theme. The reverse side was quite similar to the quarter-sized employees service anniversary medals (5 years thru 20) issued from 1923-33.

We know from the Studebaker News dealer paper that the very first salesman to receive this prestigious award was Pard H. Smith who had been selling Studebaker products for 25 years (since 1909) for the distributor E. J. Arnstine in Cleveland, Ohio (Image #2below). Remarkably that exact medal has survived and is in the possession of Studebaker memorabilia collector Bob Grove of Temperance, Michigan.

I have two of the medals as shown. They were awarded to George P. and Charles E. Eidam who were brothers operating a very successful distributorship out of Halifax, Pennsylvania. I am aware of only two other such medals though I am sure there may be others. Would welcome input from anyone with similar medals.

As an addendum it might be of interest to note that the Medallic Art Company also made the three different (sized) Studebaker 1952 Centennial medals. They are still in business.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9811 labeled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	1756091Click image for larger version

Name:	medal salesmans 1934 News b-w labeled.jpg
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1756092Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9821 labeled.jpg
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	1756093
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Dick,
    I do have an example of that medallion but without an award name per image. Thanks for the background details.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03406.jpg
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1717078

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Thanks Jim. Yours looks to be maybe a proof? Better strike and different metal. By the way, I am thinking you and I are probably the only ones on this forum interested in this stuff!
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Richard that's some cool stuff you have. I think it's cool and would love to have A collection like yours. Thanks for Sharing with us. John Kroulik

Comment

I, too,like seeing this. It is history that very few people know or will have. Thank you for Sharing!!

Mark

Comment

I agree with the above two posts. I enjoy seeing the things various folks have collected and learning a little more of company history.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

By the '125' views, people ARE interested in this material. Keep it coming. stupak

Comment

Richard, I for one take a great interest in these posts. I have a small collection of pins and medallions, largely thanks to Jim Quigley for getting me started.
                Dave Pink
                Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                1925 ER Tourer
                1925 Panel Delivery
                1953 Champion Sedan
                1957 Golden Hawk
                1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

Enjoy the post and find it interesting to see how auto sales have changed - Mr Smith is honored or selling 250 to 300 cars over 25 years. That's "only" 1 car a month, not much to keep a dealership or manufacturer going. I realize that not a lot of cars to sell in 1909 when Mr Smith started. Probably lots more wagons than autos back then but hopefully the quoted sales numbers were low.

Comment

Richard you're about the only one around that has a collection that intense the national Museum doesn't even compare to it. You were smart enough to go around and buy it up when nobody else cared about it Such a private collection is hard to enjoy by your self so please keep Sharing with us You have a lot of one off stuff or damn close to it You're like our online Museum. All that paperwork is hard to share. Keep up the show and tell. As Chuck naugal would say and another great Phrase Chuck would say NOT FOR SALE!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowtown Commander View Post
                      Enjoy the post and find it interesting to see how auto sales have changed - Mr Smith is honored or selling 250 to 300 cars over 25 years. That's "only" 1 car a month, not much to keep a dealership or manufacturer going. I realize that not a lot of cars to sell in 1909 when Mr Smith started. Probably lots more wagons than autos back then but hopefully the quoted sales numbers were low.
                      You did not read (or interpret) it correctly. When this article was written, there were 250 to 300 on the road currently. Not a sales total!
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X