Appraisals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appraisals

Have any of you had your cars appraised? If so, how did it compare with Old Car Prices and other listings? Also, what did it cost?
    peter lee

Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service, Long Beach, Calif. is the Official SDC Studebaker Vehicle Appraiser.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I have used an appraisal service three times.One was an independent company and twice with AAG. It is a nation wide company, although you won't find them in some of the remote states. I think their biggest value is in ascertaining the condition and authenticity of the vehicle, a must when purchasing a car. They spend about an hour with the car, including riding in it. They will tell you if there is any bondo anywhere and they also measure the depth of the paint. Next, he will sit down with the owner and go over all the documentation and receipts of the vehicle. A lot of photos are taken and within about a week a written report, SEVERAL pages, goes to the owner. It is quite thorough. I have also hired knowledgeable individuals for a pre purchase opinion. Assigning a value to the vehicle is a little more subjective. I'm sure they consider services like Hagerty and others. AAG charges about $300. A pre purchase appraisal has more than once convinced me not to buy the car. I saved money in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Bill Oliver at Studebaker Parts and Service, Long Beach, Calif. is the Official SDC Studebaker Vehicle Appraiser.
        Are you sure? When I last saw Bill, about 10 years ago, he was turning 90 years old, IIRC. Is he still climbing around on Studes?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
          Are you sure? When I last saw Bill, about 10 years ago, he was turning 90 years old, IIRC. Is he still climbing around on Studes?
          He must be still at it at 100 then, he ordered some parts from us a couple of months ago.

Comment

I appraised one about 150 miles from me. 15 page comprehensive report, and 60 photos. $400, but that included my transportation costs.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The Black Hawk chapter uses Ron Pittman.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Who in Middle Tennessee?

Comment

About 14 years ago, when the wife wrecked her 63GT, we used a local guy who ran a well established classic auto sales place. The appraiser need not be a Studebaker guru, but hopefully is someone familiar with classics.

Comment

I'm very wary of appraisals. I have been stung twice in 35 years by B.S. appraisers who were incompetent or just liars. Both times they were prepared by "professionals". It was for cars that I could not inspect myself due to distance. The errors were blatant mistakes on body/chassis condition. How does a so called "pro" miss obvious body filler, flat steel welded in instead of proper floors? The worst case is my curent car which it states " All original fenders and body panels" Really?
                    They are fiberglass reproductions! Any idiot can use a magnet or tap on them.
                    I am a licensed appraiser/sales consultant in my province so I do have some credibility. We all make mistakes, but brazen false statements should be accountable.
                    Just remember "caveat emptor" Buyer beware

Comment

It partly depends on what you want the appraisal for. Is it for insurance value, potential purchase, possible sale or something else? I have bought cars that came with professional appraisals (including Studebakers). In all cases, the appraisals were for about twice the going/current real market value/price.
                      I have never paid to have an appraisal done.
                      I have done what I would call evaluations of Studebakers and other cars for other hobbyists.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X