Method to remove manual transmission on my 1964 Comander Wagonaire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Method to remove manual transmission on my 1964 Comander Wagonaire

What is best method of removing transmission from my 1964 Wagonaire, reason is to change clutch and pressure plate, can anyone please help

Just go underneath and remove the 4 Bolts holding the Trans. AFTER removing all connections to it.
    Slide it back all the way into the "X" Frame, then drop the Nose and pull it.

You will need to Drain the Oil FIRST, because the Driveshaft Yoke will open it up when removed.

Then support the Engine under the Pan Bolts is best, and remove the Clutch housing, Bing, Bang, Boom!

The Crossmember will probably need to be dropped also.

Is this "Commander" a V8 with NO Overdrive?
    Last edited by StudeRich; 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Just go underneath and remove the 4 Bolts holding the Trans.
      You'll probably want to drop the driveshaft first!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I always thought the X-member frame (sliding roof wagons, convertibles, Avantis) made it much easier to remove and reinstall the transmission. Slide it back, let the X-member support the tail housing, and drop down the front of the transmission to remove. I could remove and replace without any assistance - well, at least in my younger days.

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
          You'll probably want to drop the driveshaft first!
          That's FUNNY Brad!

Talk about out of context.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

After the transmission is removed,and before you remove the crossmember, try this. I use it all the time, and it works great.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

A few years ago my son and I replaced the overdrive tranny in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire without removing the crossmember. We were working on our backs with the car only on jack stands. We slid it back in the X-frame as far as possible then tipped the front down and pulled it out. It was very tight, but it came out and the replacement went in OK with reversing the process.

I can't do that heavy stuff any more. Abe Witmer pulled the tranny a couple months ago to see what was wrong with the clutch installation. I'll have to ask him if he removed the crossmember.
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The commander wagonaire v8 3 speed manual is fitted with overdrive//--should i remove the butterfly crossmember as well???--your input is most appreciated //--thank you geoff//--hope you read adventures in africa in turning wheels and avanti to zambia in avanti magazine also you are invited to visit forever studebaker on facebook[just request acceptance] as it is a closed site for protective reasons//

Comment

Working...
                X