PDA

View Full Version : Will it fit and work

old fart
11-01-2017, 11:21 AM
Anybody out there with knowledge of swapping differentials and have them work , someone with knowledge and not just blowing their horn . Would like to know would a differential from a 63 lark work in a 52 2R5 half ton pickup ?? Truck differential is screwed . This is going to be a winter project . OR someone have a differential from a 2R5 pickup and a 6.5 box to boot .

OLD FART

rusty nut garage
11-01-2017, 12:46 PM
Anybody out there with knowledge of swapping differentials and have them work , someone with knowledge and not just blowing their horn . Would like to know would a differential from a 63 lark work in a 52 2R5 half ton pickup ?? Truck differential is screwed . This is going to be a winter project . OR someone have a differential from a 2R5 pickup and a 6.5 box to boot .

OLD FART
truck axles and hubs are larger. Likely the width is different as well. Buying a used rearend can be a crap shoot. everyone will tell you its good but they don't really know if it was making noise or what. You can do a visual inspection but that doesn't really tell the tale either. Find a 4 wheel drive shop that is no stranger to differential setup and have them rebuild yours. Trucks are usually geared quite low for todays driving, remember these were made to work and road speed concerns were secondary. You can change your gear ratio at the time you have it overhauled.

gordr
11-01-2017, 12:58 PM
A 2R5 from 1952 might have a model 41 axle. Lark likely has a model 27, but could be a 44 or a 23. Likely no parts in common. I'd recommend getting a model 44 axle from a latter pickup, and have it rebuilt using a suitable ring and pinion to match your anticipated driving style.

swvalcon
11-01-2017, 01:00 PM
If I where you I would swap it out for a ford explorer or a s-10.

rockinhawk
11-01-2017, 03:38 PM
I took the gears out of a 60 Hawk and put them in a 59 Scotsman truck along with new bearings. They were both Dana 44. the truck had a 4.27 ratio and was replaced by a 3.53 from the Hawk. The truck housing was wider than the Hawk so I couldn't use the complete unit. Soon after I did the swap an article appeared in TW that said it couldn't be done because the difference in ratios was too great. But alas, I had already done it. It worked well with no noise. I let my grandson have that truck and as far as I know, It's still working.

old fart
11-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks for your comments . My friends wife inherited her late fathers truck and when the property was sold they took the truck out of the garage so the new owners could use it . The next week a bad windstorm blew a large tree down on the truck box , and the diff. got bent . Box is only sheet metal can be fixed easily . Guess we'll look for a parts truck . Thanks again for your opinions .

Old fart