PDA

View Full Version : New Blood IN The Club Just A Idea

G T Joe
10-31-2017, 11:52 AM
I have noticed That we have had all the swap meets these last so many years always on Friday and Saturday Reedsvivle York , and now Dunkirk ,I have no problem with that because I am semi retired but I know that has to be a lot of people out there that just can't make it on Friday because simply they work or Saturday as the way of the world has changed so much in the Job sector , I think that a lot more people could attend a swap on Saturday or Sunday of course Sunday would be a half day , and maybe more ads I know that everyone would rather sell their parts instead of scarping them , also the General public might be more inclined to go to a swap meet on these days and hey they might get interested in the people and the cars and become members change does sometimes works to every ones advantage .

studeclunker
10-31-2017, 02:12 PM
Unless the 'half day' for Sunday was in the afternoon, many Christians would likely pass (I am one of them). Then again our country is moving away from that (sad to say) so you might garner a few more people. However, I still caution anyone considering this, afternoons are a better idea than mornings for Sunday. That way you don't annoy your current base group.

jeryst
11-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Unless the 'half day' for Sunday was in the afternoon, many Christians would likely pass (I am one of them). Then again our country is moving away from that (sad to say) so you might garner a few more people. However, I still caution anyone considering this, afternoons are a better idea than mornings for Sunday. That way you don't annoy your current base group.

I am also a Christian who attends church regularly, but see no harm in missing a Sunday occasionally if something
special is going on. I just put extra offering in the collection plate the following week and volunteer
a little more of my time.

thunderations
11-02-2017, 01:48 PM
Might also want to THINK about having Zone Meets and International Meets when School is not in session so that parents and grandparents that have responsibility of school age children could attend. Many others work or volunteer at schools, drive buses, crossing guards, etc. that could attend a meet if it wasn't during school. The numbers from the last International may have something to due with our younger members not being able to attend. Ain't just swap meets.

JRoberts
11-02-2017, 02:01 PM
Might also want to THINK about having Zone Meets and International Meets when School is not in session so that parents and grandparents that have responsibility of school age children could attend. Many others work or volunteer at schools, drive buses, crossing guards, etc. that could attend a meet if it wasn't during school. The numbers from the last International may have something to due with our younger members not being able to attend. Ain't just swap meets.

Amen to that!

52-fan
11-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Many people who come very far to attend a swap meet still need to be at work on Monday. Even Saturday afternoon attendance can be poor because of people already heading home.

JRoberts
11-03-2017, 07:39 AM
What is the difference between missing work on Thursday/Friday than Monday? I really think we are missing the point if we do not make changes so that younger adults with kids can attend Studebaker events. I have a son who owns two Studebakers. I really think one of the things that influenced that was attending Studebaker events with me when he was a kid. He often takes his daughter to car stuff in the Studebaker. We have to take off the blinders and look at reality if we really want to attract younger folks to our hobby.

jeryst
11-03-2017, 08:28 AM
One of the things I seem to have noticed, and someone please correct me if I am
mistaken, is that all of the vendors at Studebaker swap meets, are actual vendors
that are in the Studebaker parts business. This seems so different from other
non-Studebaker meets that I have been to. Other meets I've attended, seem to be
made mostly of guys with extra parts just trying to get rid of some things
and make a few bucks. I have done that many times myself over the years.

Is my observation correct? If so, why is that? I recently read, in some other thread,
that the Reedsville meet has become more of a vendor to vendor type meet.
Is that true? Because if it is, it means that regular Studebaker owners are not
interested in going to swap meets. And if that is the case, then nothing we do
will ensure the success of ANY Studebaker swap meet.

Skip Lackie
11-03-2017, 08:46 AM
I would say your observation is incorrect. AFAIK, only a couple of the vendors at Reedsville were truly in the Stude parts business. I didn't/don't know everyone who was there, but nearly all are amateurs (like me) who have accumulated extra parts, or who bought out a local dealer, and are just trying to either clean out the garage or get their investment back. Yet all of us are called "vendors". If you look at the advertising pages of TW or the Studevendors site, you will discover that we are served by about a dozen full-time, excellent vendors. Some (eg, Turner) focus on a specific product line (brakes); others (SI, Chuck Collins) have a full line of Stude stuff accumulated by buying out factory warehouses.