Nice Day To Exercise The Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Day To Exercise The Stude

My son and I took the 63GT out for 102 miles today, all on secondary roads here in rural Kentucky, including a few miles of gravel. First we went by my deceased maternal grandparents' home; a mid-1800's log cabin with later upgrades, it now sits empty since around 1990, and is becoming dilapidated. We walked around on the property, peeked in the windows, looked underneath, and I pointed out several things of interest, like where the out-house used to be.

Next, we drove several miles to a 182 farm we lived on with my paternal grandparents, till I was around 4-5 years old. I showed him the route my older brother walked, about two miles, to school till 2nd grade. He'd rendezvous with a couple of friends about half a mile from the house, then they'd walk the rest of the way together. My dad, now 91, went to the same school till he, "graduated" the 8th grade. It was a one room school, and grades 1-8 were taught there, but there is no trace of the school anymore. My older brother still remembers the teacher's name.

Next we stopped by my maternal great-grandma's old home, now vacant since the 1980's, and dilapidated. I showed him where the grape vineyard in her back yard was, where us kids would eat grapes till our bellies ached. Then a few other points of interest, and more back roads all the way home. I have probably showed the above sites to my son half a dozen times over the years but, probably out of politeness, each time he acts as if it were the first time.

Yep, it sure was a nice day to exercise the Stude. But more importantly, a good opportunity to enjoy some quality father & son time.

Sounds lika a perfect day!

Comment

Good story Joe, have You ever wondered where/what Your Studes were up to back when You were 4 or 5 years old ?
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Reads like a perfect "STUDEBAKER SHORT CUT" to me. Early this past week, I took my 55 truck out of the barn for a run to my mom's nursing home. (14 mile round trip) But the week was so busy, that was about it for Studebaker driving. In addition to other nursing home runs, I managed to tinker with my engine stand project a little, and then allowed myself to get talked into repainting a friend's BMW motorcycle. That involved most of a day for a 100 mile trip to evaluate the job,and check out his facilities. It's gonna be more complicated than he realizes, cause he's going to have to do the sanding.

Today, after the rain quit, and the clouds moved out, it would have been a great day for a drive...'cept I was exhausted from the week, it turned cold, and the wind was howling worse than last month's hurricane. Anything that wasn't tied down is somewhere else now. This week, I have one of those unmentionable medical procedures (think roto-rooter)...so wish me luck. On the bright side, when I'm over that, due to the wind, all my walnuts & pecans are on the ground & waiting to be gathered.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sounds like fun - if you ever wander east into the Bardstown area, let me know - we could always swap stories over lunch...or a bourbon tasting

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Sounds like fun - if you ever wander east into the Bardstown area, let me know - we could always swap stories over lunch...or a bourbon tasting
            Sure, I had no idea you, or anyone else for that matter, lived so nearby. Bardstown is only about 40 miles from me here in Hardin County. We will have to get together sometime soon, though I do not drink alcohol.
            To give some perspective, the areas I described in the OP are in Breckenridge and Meade Counties: Webster, Union Star, Rhodelia, Frimire, Stoney Point, Prather Holler, Dead Horse Holler, Andyville, Payneville, etc.. Some of the most rural areas in the state of Kentucky. Many of those places were first settled by families from the early 1800s, whose descendants are still in the area, at least a few of them.

Is your Stude up an running?
            Last edited by JoeHall; 10-30-2017, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
              This week, I have one of those unmentionable medical procedures (think roto-rooter)...so wish me luck. On the bright side, when I'm over that, due to the wind, all my walnuts & pecans are on the ground & waiting to be gathered.
              Putting these two together got a chuckle out of me. I know what you mean by a roto-router procedure, so I was hoping that it wasn't your nuts that you will have to pick up off the ground.
              I will wish you good luck, but I didn't think that this was done on "young" fellows like you anymore.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                Putting these two together got a chuckle out of me. I know what you mean by a roto-router procedure, so I was hoping that it wasn't your nuts that you will have to pick up off the ground.
                I will wish you good luck, but I didn't think that this was done on "young" fellows like you anymore.
                Don't know what this says about your age, but I was 63 when I had my first & only one in 2007. That was when my nurse wife always volunteered me for any kind of screening procedure at her hospital. Fast forward to this year, we are both retired, and since I signed up for the VA services, they declared me service related "disabled" due to what I experienced in Vietnam. My local VA clinic doctor noticed that it had been ten years since my last colonoscopy. So...he scheduled one for me.

Now, here's where it gets weird...I was told I had to make another trip to the facility in our state capitol to determine if I qualify. That would mean a day of my life, and travel reimbursement at YOUR (taxpayer) expense, for someone there to tell me I need to have an examination I have already been told I need!!! Apparently, enough of us "upstate" vets complained and balked so that a "teleconference was arranged at our local clinic. Our local clinic is a rather lavish palatial "NEW" clinic in which millions of dollars was spent on the building. However, when we assembled in the room for the teleconference broadcast from a similar gathering at the Main facility in the state capitol...it turns out that the teleconference sound system must have been a cast-off from a drive-in window at a Taco-Bell, or Burger King. Then...(not her fault) the medical professional chosen to make the presentation, had a heavy Asian accent.

It was like some kind of "Saturday Night Live" skit. Here we are, a bunch of southern hillbilly vets, sitting around a table, watching a TV screen showing the inside of someone's intestines, while trying to understand someone attempting to explain over a garbled speaker in broken English, what we were viewing. The room applauded when we finally understood she was explaining how, as we recovered from the procedure, we should not be embarrassed over some uncontrolled farting! FINALLY...something we all understood!

So...after the meeting, I got my gallon jug of powder prep, instruction sheet, and went home. I'm still going to have to drive over a hundred miles, stay in a motel, and have the procedure the next morning. There's at least six facilities that could do this within 25 miles of me. I bet it could be done for less than all the time, and expense to travel so far and stay overnight. Thanks to all you taxpayers for putting up with this. Exactly the way I wanted to spend Halloween
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                  Sure, I had no idea you, or anyone else for that matter, lived so nearby. Bardstown is only about 40 miles from me here in Hardin County. We will have to get together sometime soon, though I do not drink alcohol.
                  To give some perspective, the areas I described in the OP are in Breckenridge and Meade Counties: Webster, Union Star, Rhodelia, Frimire, Stoney Point, Prather Holler, Dead Horse Holler, Andyville, Payneville, etc.. Some of the most rural areas in the state of Kentucky. Many of those places were first settled by families from the early 1800s, whose descendants are still in the area, at least a few of them.

Is your Stude up an running?
                  '62 Champ and '60 Lark are going strong... B-town is about 40 clicks to the west for me - so it would be a center point for us both. And my buddy Dave in Versailles always loves an reason to drive his '38 Commander.

Comment

Low 60s and sunny here today, also a good day to exercise my 48 Stude, down to the local town of Carnation, a little caffeine and sugar, a visit to the local car collection. I spent a few hours in the last couple of days doing some minor body and paint work on a 1980 Alfa Spyder for the owner, Jim Giordano. He buys and sells all sorts of collector cars and motos, same guy we did the Porsche 908 replica for recently.

I drive my Stude several times a week when the weather is dry, probably not much the next few months here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_DSC_3854.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1717011
                    Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                    See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Don't know what this says about your age, but I was 63 when I had my first & only one in 2007. That was when my nurse wife always volunteered me for any kind of screening procedure at her hospital. Fast forward to this year, we are both retired, and since I signed up for the VA services, they declared me service related "disabled" due to what I experienced in Vietnam. My local VA clinic doctor noticed that it had been ten years since my last colonoscopy. So...he scheduled one for me.

[/B]
                      We had a breakdown of communication. Yes, I am older than you. When you spoke of roto-rooter, I thought that you were referring to the procedure where they go in and enlarge the opening up through your penis. That is what I have heard of as a roto-rooter. I am a believer in having a colonoscopy starting at 45 and have had it done many times. The prep is the hardest part and that isn't as bad as it used to be.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 48skyliner View Post
                        Low 60s and sunny here today, also a good day to exercise my 48 Stude, down to the local town of Carnation, a little caffeine and sugar, a visit to the local car collection. I spent a few hours in the last couple of days doing some minor body and paint work on a 1980 Alfa Spyder for the owner, Jim Giordano. He buys and sells all sorts of collector cars and motos, same guy we did the Porsche 908 replica for recently.

I drive my Stude several times a week when the weather is dry, probably not much the next few months here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]68208[/ATTACH]
                        Yep, this is the best time of year to exercise our Studes. But maybe we should rename this thread, "Medical Issues" and put it in the Stove Huggers forum. LOL
                        Last edited by JoeHall; 10-31-2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                          Yep, this is the best time of year to exercise our Studes. But maybe we should rename this thread, "Medical Issues" and put it in the Stove Huggers forum. LOL
                          Sorry Joe...the swerve so far off the subject went further than I intended. However, on the bright side...a pleasant Studebaker drive through the country on a nice autumn day is some of the best medicine ever!
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Sorry Joe...the swerve so far off the subject went further than I intended. However, on the bright side...a pleasant Studebaker drive through the country on a nice autumn day is some of the best medicine ever!
                            I can definitely agree with that

Comment

Working...
                            X