York vs. Reedsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York vs. Reedsville

How is it that the York swap is now history, and yet Reedsville continues?
    Are not the same economic forces in effect?

The biggest reason I heard for York ending was the lack of support of those running it. None of us is getting any younger. Reedsville is much smaller and therefore manageable.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Agree with Chip -- workload was the biggest factor. But another contributing factor was cost. The York Fairgrounds is a very popular venue for events -- most of the buildings (the two that SDC rents are among the smallest) are busy with something nearly every weekend. They are also more civilized (eg, heat, snack bar) than the much smaller Reedsville facility, and so cost a lot more to rent. I believe the last couple of York meets actually lost money. York is close to several major highways, while Reedsville is relatively more remote.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

All reasons to support the new Studebaker Swap Meet at Dunkirk, NY. Held in Septerber and sponsored by the Kinzua Chapter.
        Peter Bishop

Comment

What Skip said. In addition to the fatigue factor of those who have been managing the Keystone National Swap Meet for over four decades, the York Fairground facility rent for the weekend had reached $10,000. Unsustainable.
          From a historical perspective, The Keystone National Swap at York started in a garage in Elizabethville, Pa and moved in to the Reedsville facility after two years. Then operated there until it outgrew the facility and moved to York.
          The Manhattan Chapter stepped up to continue the autumn swap in Reedsville so..., Reedsville continues to be the first and original all Studebaker Swap Meet in the world.
          Last edited by rockne10; 10-28-2017, 05:17 PM.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Based on what I saw this past weekend in Reedsville, IT will not last much longer. stupak

Comment

Well, Stuart; if you don't need it...don't attend.
              Brad Johnson,
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                What Skip said. In addition to the fatigue factor of those who have been managing the Keystone National Swap Meet for over four decades, the York Fairground facility rent for the weekend had reached $10,000. Unsustainable.
                From a historical perspective, The Keystone National Swap at York started in a garage in Elizabethville, Pa and moved in to the Reedsville facility after two years. Then operated there until it outgrew the facility and moved to York.
                The Manhattan Chapter stepped up to continue the autumn swap in Reedsville so..., Reedsville continues to be the first and original all Studebaker Swap Meet in the world.
                I have attended both meets in the past. Either one was always quite a haul for me. The interesting thing is that I always seemed to meet folks who traveled much farther than I did. I have not made it to Reedsville in many years. I have fond memories of Max Corkins place, and the hospitality.

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                Based on what I saw this past weekend in Reedsville, IT will not last much longer. stupak
                I only hope it continues. Even if it fades, I believe venues of this sort fulfill a need. I think that, as car enthusiasts, we can accept less than palace type facilities, as long as there is a roof overhead, and nearby motels.

Key to such a gathering is sincere enthusiastic leadership. Unfortunately, such enthusiasm requires energy, and energy requires youthful health. I believe our membership has sincerity, and leadership skills. What seems to be missing is enough youthful members to sustain the energy & enthusiasm.

John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I remember going to the original meet in the garage in Elizabethville (When was that - early 1970s?). For many years, I drove to both the Reedsville and York meets. Then I tapered off to the York meet. Recently, I haven't driven to either. The main negative that got me to stop attending was the terrible weather (snow and/or ice) that I encountered traveling on many occasions - not at the location, but traveling to and from the north.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The Dunkirk meet was a nice meet ,Well attended by vendors but very few buyers , And 462 miles from home , Reedsville had fewer vendors but on Friday I think there were more buyers , and 220 miles from home , One of the problems this year with Reedsville was the lack of advertising , Even when the question was posted about it happening on this forum it took days to get a response and only after the question was posted again , I bought up the lack of attendance in other club events and here 2 more that were poorly attended, I don't know what the answer is and what could be done to fix it , I hate to say it but I think a lot of parts will headed to land fills in the next 20 years and by then who's going to know about it , Ed, 0 miles from home

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      One of the problems this year with Reedsville was the lack of advertising
                      Absolutely true but, this deterred few except those newcomers who have not long been members.
                      Fact is: Online internet sales have taken their toll on live swapmeets.
                      Fact is: Internet sales venues will never replace the technical knowledge base available in a live venue.
                      Fact is: There are too many smiles, handshakes and friendships created or rekindled at a live swap meet to ever let the internet supplant them.

Here's the first advertising post for Reedsville 2018: The facility is booked for October 19-20, 2018. I'll be vending; and others have already reserved and paid for their vending spaces.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have been a vendor at Reedsville on an off for the past 25 years. This year I took a lot of sheetmetal (mostly mint used or NOS) to Reedsville and brought most of it home. Fortunately I was able to sell a lot of trim for 53/54 CKs (my speciality) which paid for the trip. Clearly I could have just stayed home and used ebay to liquidate my inventory without incurring the cost of a 350 mile round trip, hotel room etc. not to mention the labor of loading a trailer full of fenders, doors, hoods, seats,trunk lids etc.

I'm not saying I won't go back to Reedsville as I enjoy the comraderie immensely -----but I'll get a lot older before I go as a vendor....
                        ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

I went there on Friday for the first time since 2006. It was a 160 mile trip for me; took about 4 hours. Then I stayed for an hour and a half, and drove back home again. Back home by 4:45 PM. Arrived to see Jim Bradley (Rerun) right away and we had a nice long talk. I enjoyed meeting Skip Lackie for the first time. Also spent some time talking with Dave Shrock of the Shrock Brothers. Max Corkins was there, getting around in a motorized vehicle. I first went to the Reedsville meet in 1977. I was struck this weekend by the passage of time and what it brings. Despite the thinning of vendors, there was still a big selection of things to see (and buy, if you needed them). I agree that the social aspect is as important as the parts aspect. I just hope it can continue for a while longer! It's not the same as it used to be, but what is?

Comment

Have been vending at Reedsville for several years and always do very well there and I agree the social aspect is as important as sales. I understand the aspects of discontinuing the York meet but have always did extremely well vending and seeing many people I call friends was a major part of the show.
                            Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Originally posted by jerezstude View Post
                              Have been vending at Reedsville for several years and always do very well there and I agree the social aspect is as important as sales. I understand the aspects of discontinuing the York meet but have always did extremely well vending and seeing many people I call friends was a major part of the show.
                              Jerry Kurtz
                              I've been going to York for 20 years, I know, a rookie! Anyways, I've bought little in the last ten but have kept going for the friendships I have made over the years. I'm going to start attending the Dunkirk show just to keep seeing my friends!
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X