PDA

View Full Version : Hurst shifter ad

Hawklover
10-28-2017, 09:14 AM
I remember seeing a picture in a magazine of the Hurst Com plus shifter for the Avanti...........does anyone have a copy of this ad that they can upload to the forum?

Thanks

swvalcon
10-28-2017, 10:35 AM
The best part of Hurst Shifters.

Hawklover
10-28-2017, 10:52 AM
Known by many men to not be able to get into first gear:-(
The best part of Hurst Shifters.

StudeRich
10-28-2017, 03:04 PM
I see She is not shifting!

8E45E
10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
I see She is not shifting!

She doesn't have to! (or maybe not allowed to as there is a key!) http://barnfinds.com/his-and-hers-1968-pontiac-gto/

Craig

jts359
10-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Linda Vaughan I think I spelled it right, one of the great ones , Still looks good today, Ed

Dick Steinkamp
10-28-2017, 07:31 PM
http://clubs.hemmings.com/gatewaysdc/Studebaker-ads-1966/Avanti-Hurst-Ad.jpg

Hawklover
10-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Dick this is it!!! Thank you so much!!
http://clubs.hemmings.com/gatewaysdc/Studebaker-ads-1966/Avanti-Hurst-Ad.jpg

Jeffry Cassel
10-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Wonder how many sales Studebaker lost on the test drive with their worst ever horrible pos shifter. Talk about false economy!!! Have a Hurst in mine and I love it.

David Daoust
10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Linda Vaughan I think I spelled it right, one of the great ones , Still looks good today, Ed

Vaughn https://www.facebook.com/Linda-Vaughn-Miss-Hurst-730588203639191/

Skip Lackie
10-30-2017, 04:08 PM
I don't know what shifter the early Avanti IIs with 4-speeds came with, but my 74 came from Avanti Motors with the Hurst shifter.

Gunslinger
10-30-2017, 06:50 PM
I believe Hurst marketed the 4-speed shifter at the urging of Nate Altman. Maybe Avanti Motors had to commit to buy a certain minimum number before Hurst would produce any.

Skip Lackie
10-31-2017, 08:08 AM
Interesting thought, Bruce. Thanks.

Gunslinger
10-31-2017, 04:07 PM
It wasn't until 1969 before Hurst produced them...and I cant see them having done it without input from Nate...if there had been no Avanti II it doesn't make much sense for Hurst to spend the R&D costs for a car nearly five years out of production and built only in low numbers as it was.

It probably didn't take too much R&D anyway...T-10 trannies were very common...it was primarily making the shifter and linkages that fit an Avanti...everything else was likely off the shelf. Getting hold of an Avanti to take measurements and fit it up to may have taken longer than the actual engineering time.

8E45E
10-31-2017, 06:09 PM
Getting hold of an Avanti to take measurements and fit it up to may have taken longer than the actual engineering time.

As far as I know part of the deal Newman & Altman made with Studebaker was obtaining all the engineering drawings pertaining to Avanti, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to supply an drawing to Hurst for fitment.

Craig

sweetolbob
10-31-2017, 06:41 PM
I don't really think it took a lot of engineering. I'll bet the shift rods were a standard issue set for a 'vette or other car. The shift lever was again from a standard setup with the lever cut off and rewelded to set the lever back some and then rechromed. I sold my setup (shifter and clutch parts) to another fellow that wanted to convert to a T-10 set up when I went to the T56.

The clutch linkage took more engineering/trial-and-error than the shifter I'll bet.

Bob

Mike
10-31-2017, 07:39 PM
The rods and arms are included in the installation kit, [part # in ad], same as Chevy that uses rear bolt holes in tail shaft. It's still available, although rods are smaller diameter with a black finish and some people say they don't fit as well as the old ones.
The shifter itself is unique. The lever is welded. It zig zags to the rear and toward the center of the car. It pretty much comes up in the stock hole, although you really need the rectangular Hurst boot for clearance.
Remember the stock shifter doesn't bolt directly to the tail shaft. There's a cast iron adaptor that goes up and over the top of the tail shaft. That allowed fairly straight shift rods but it's eliminated with the Hurst kit. I wonder why Hurst didn't use the adaptor and straight rods.
I've seen an old price list for surplus Studebaker R3/4 parts that includes Hurst shift rods. I wonder what the story about that is since, as far as I know, they all used the stock shifter.
Mike M