PDA

View Full Version : Down but not out yet

Packard baker collector
10-27-2017, 12:28 AM
Hi friends on 10-6-17 I had a major stroke. I can still poke the keys. I sit here now looking at the long lonely road to recovery. I hope to hear from you as it will help relieve the boredom and lift my spirits. Thanks much. Don

tim333
10-27-2017, 12:35 AM
My prayers are with you, fight the hard fight.

studeclunker
10-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Hope and pray you are up and on your feet again soon!

DEEPNHOCK
10-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Hang in there, Don....
Jeff

t walgamuth
10-27-2017, 05:57 AM
Get well as soon as possible so you can bring out your packardbakers!

BobPalma
10-27-2017, 07:00 AM
:( 'Sorry to hear that, Don, but good to see you here. Hang in there! :) :cool: BP

Ron Dame
10-27-2017, 07:01 AM
Heal quickly Don, prayers are with you

ndynis
10-27-2017, 07:24 AM
Don: I'm sorry to hear of your troubles but admire your fighting spirit. With that spirit and all the prayers from those of us on the Forum your recovery should come as quickly as possible. Keep up the good fight!
Nick

raoul5788
10-27-2017, 07:41 AM
So sorry to hear of your health problems Don, I hope you get better quickly!

JRoberts
10-27-2017, 08:00 AM
It may be a long fight, but know that you are not alone. We here are in your corner with you. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Buzzard
10-27-2017, 11:38 AM
Don,
It's so great you took the trouble to post here. I am also a "Packard baker" collector and enthusiast ('57 Clipper Wagon) so here's a toast to you in your up coming climb back up.
We (me & Sonja) are sending all our prayers to you from British Columbia, Canada. Please keep posting as it will always be a treat to hear from you. We are thinking of you as it's guys like you and Silverhawk Dan who are our true ispirations.
Cheers, Bill

Jessie J.
10-27-2017, 01:52 PM
It's great to have you continue participating. Unexpected and unwanted 'down time' can be a downer no doubt, but with a PC at hand it provides a terrific opportunity for one to bone up on their accumulation of Studebaker knowledge and lore. Spent hundreds of enjoyable hours online following my heart surgery and learned many things I am certain that I would otherwise never have gotten around to. When this is behind you, if you work at it, you'll end more knowledgeable than most of us. Looking forward to hearing more about your Studebaker's, and of your dreams and plans.
Jessie J.

57studesilverhawk
10-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Sorry to hear of your health problem, but on the other hand it's good to see that you are up and thinking, Our automobile hobby is something that helps pass the time. Each year I look forward to the Annual meets to revisit the friends that I have met each year, The car started the friendship, but the members keep us together. Keep posting because we are all interested in your health, think positive thoughts each day as you return to your good health. You will do it.

JoeHall
10-27-2017, 02:54 PM
Don,
As you said, down but not out. Hang in there, and please follow your doctors' orders to the letter. Lots of folks have made amazing recoveries from stroke, and I am sure you can too. If you are a smoker, I hope you have had your last cigarette !
All the best, and will put you on our Church Prayer List.

Joe H

T.J. lavallee
10-27-2017, 04:54 PM
Don, my wife has suffered three strokes in the last ten years. Hasn't kept her down. Her to do list is just as well compiled as ever before.(Ha.Ha.) Her strength in returning to her art has kept her positive and shows repeated progress (some really nice stuff) and keeping up with her when walking is a challenge for me. She hasn't let anything stand in her way to accomplish the things she wants to do. Living proof that going after her goals is very doable. She says to tell you, "all you really need is the will to want to," to get back to the things you love to do. I'm sure you can do it, too. Got get 'em Don!

acolds
10-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Hang in Don ( and keep your sign wanted 57 58 Packard parts ) we Packard baker guys or should say people are a pretty rare breed and we need all of our number to stay involved if you need something I can help with just let me know. Will say a prayer for you

Packard baker collector
10-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I feel like I am taking one step forward and two backward. Hope to turn that around soon. Good to hear from you all especially the packardbaker guys. Don

Avantidon
10-28-2017, 09:05 AM
Don take all of the time you need to recover. Stay strong follow the Doctor's orders and all will be well. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

One step at a time and one day at a time that's what it takes along with a positive attitude.

sals54
10-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Don. Good luck on the recovery. And don't be too discouraged with the back tracking just now. Its just your body adjusting. Stick with the therapy and listen for all the prayers being sent your way. We're with you.

Jessie J.
10-28-2017, 10:42 PM
When I read 'Packard baker', can't help but visualize a '56 Commander or President sedan packed with a dual-quad 374.
Anyone here ever built or seen such a beast?

Packard baker collector
10-29-2017, 01:28 AM
How about a 56 golden hawk with the dual four option? Not many of those around.

jclary
10-29-2017, 09:07 AM
How about a 56 golden hawk with the dual four option? Not many of those around.

Prayers lifted for your health.:)

Your comment (quoted) made me smile because in my younger days, every time some one would show up in a well optioned factory "hot-rod," (no matter what brand), some envious person who couldn't afford one, would always criticize how terrible it probably was on MPG.:mad:

I think that was the first time I ever heard the phrase, "If you have to ask, you couldn't afford it and don't need it.":QQ:

...And that was when gas was 24 or 25 cents per gallon.:rolleyes:

Chicken Hawk
10-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Hi Packard baker; Several years ago I had a "mini" stroke and was very lucky with no lasting results. This past July 8th I had "chronic" vertigo and was confined to the house for almost ten weeks. Other than going to therapy sessions, doing exercises, etc. I was setting in a chair reading magazines and watching TV. Sounds like a good life but it sure gets old after only a few days. I missed the Melt Down Drags and the NMCA meet in Norwalk but was able to get to the PSMCDR in mid September and told Mary Ann that was the best therapy I had. Hang in there and keep thinking of the future when you will be able to function again like you did before.

Ted

57pack
10-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Hi Don, so sorry to hear of your stroke!:(
Here’s to a quick recovery!:cheers:
I thank you for all of help and parts with my 57 wagon. Always enjoyed our phone conversations!
I’ll call you sometime in future and check up on you.

wdills
10-29-2017, 06:53 PM
Good luck with your recovery. Spend your time making plans on what you want to do to your cars. It is a great way to keep you occupied. Always helps to have something to think about that you enjoy.

showbizkid
11-01-2017, 01:25 PM
Hope your recovery is rapid and complete.

Packard baker collector
11-02-2017, 05:53 AM
Update it has been 3 wks. Starting to finally see a little progress. That puts me in a better frame of mind. Thanks to all who have replied. Don

jclary
11-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Update it has been 3 wks. Starting to finally see a little progress. That puts me in a better frame of mind. Thanks to all who have replied. Don

Hang in there Don:)...A great post to kick start the morning, something we can all benefit from...A BETTER FRAME OF MIND! :!::)

jts359
11-02-2017, 07:09 AM
You can do it , Think positive , ED

dleroux
11-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Don,
It's been a little over a month since I suffered my stroke. Thank goodness it was caught in time. It takes time & I learn what I can and cannot do daily. Some things are frustrating, others come back naturally. I hope all the best for your recovery and the positive frame of mind helps. Walking has been my method of coping with this. If you can do it, I strongly suggest you try. Good luck.

jif988
11-06-2017, 07:39 PM
Hey Don, I'm a grad of Canton McKinley, but nevertheless, I wish you a speedy and complete recovery! We all know how tough a stroke can be but, hang in there, follow your doctor's orders exactly and have a positive attitude in your rehab exercise sessions and you will see quick results. We are all pulling for you! best regards...Lance

Packard baker collector
11-09-2017, 04:24 AM
Update I am now starting to walk. I am now feeling better about my recovery. Don

58L-J8 Guy
11-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Update I am now starting to walk. I am now feeling better about my recovery. Don
Don, That is Great news, Thank God. I will give you a call sometime soon. Best of luck
Your 58 buddy, Dave

tsenecal
11-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Very happy to hear that you're on your feet and walking. That alone can be great therapy. I've just finished my EMT refresher, and part of what they emphasized was how important the first four hours can be, with ANY sign of a stroke. You need to get yourself or your family member to an ER, or preferably, a stroke center. This is something to pass on to our friends and family. I sincerely hope that you continue to improve.

Buzzard
11-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Great news Don!!
Keep up the great attitude and progress.
We are all pulling for you.
Cheers, Bill

dleroux
11-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Don,
Great news. I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Hang in there and keep a positive attitude.

Bill Pressler
11-10-2017, 12:05 PM
Don, best of luck and continued progress! You will be mentioned at Pamer's meet this coming Sunday....lots of good wishes coming your way I know.