PDA

View Full Version : Bolts or screws or whatever you call them.........

Hawklover
10-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I am looking for 5/16 bolts/screws that have a round head on them (to lay flush) and are without any slot for flat or Phillips screwdrivers.........in other words I need something that I can attach from the top, but take up with a small nut on the bottom......in brass, ss, or chrome.

I need to fill three 5/16 holes on my console so as to have it look somewhat factory. I thought of tiny rubber plugs.....but think that will not look too good. It is just for cosmetic purposes, nothing will be attached to them.

Thanks in advance for your candid suggestions.

DieselJim
10-26-2017, 09:46 PM
Carriage bolts.

jd-stude
10-26-2017, 09:47 PM
How about using some of the plastic bolts/pins that they use to fasten inner fenders and stuff on new cars? Just the first thought I had.

Krob

sals54
10-26-2017, 10:12 PM
You could make one yourself. Take a stainless bolt in the length you need. Hex head is best. Chuck the bolt threads into your drill. Now get your cut-off tool, (either pneumatic or electric) and run it at high speed. Then take the drill and run it at high speed also. Now comes the tricky part. Use the cut-off tool as a grinder to shape the head of the bolt to whatever configuration you want, round, oval, flat. After its shaped, you can now use finer and finer sandpaper till its nice and shiny.

Hawklover
10-26-2017, 10:16 PM
Carriage bolts.

I assume the screw size to be 10/32........the hole is 8mm which is equal to 5/16

Hawklover
10-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Sal I am sitting here sipping some good Lavazza Espresso and attempting to figure out what will look good on the console.
You could make one yourself. Take a stainless bolt in the length you need. Hex head is best. Chuck the bolt threads into your drill. Now get your cut-off tool, (either pneumatic or electric) and run it at high speed. Then take the drill and run it at high speed also. Now comes the tricky part. Use the cut-off tool as a grinder to shape the head of the bolt to whatever configuration you want, round, oval, flat. After its shaped, you can now use finer and finer sandpaper till its nice and shiny.

Hawklover
10-26-2017, 10:20 PM
What about the push in interior flat head plastic screws used to hold interior pieces in autos?

- - - Updated - - -

Good idea!!.......never thought of that.
How about using some of the plastic bolts/pins that they use to fasten inner fenders and stuff on new cars? Just the first thought I had.

Krob

Dick Steinkamp
10-26-2017, 10:24 PM
http://www.tacomascrew.com/s.nl/it.A/id.21211/.f?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI55vU4euP1wIVEpR-Ch0yRgcjEAQYBSABEgL6IvD_BwE#

https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/0185764_hr4c.jpg

Hawklover
10-27-2017, 07:35 AM
http://www.tacomascrew.com/s.nl/it.A/id.21211/.f?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI55vU4euP1wIVEpR-Ch0yRgcjEAQYBSABEgL6IvD_BwE#

https://img1.fastenal.com/productimages/0185764_hr4c.jpg

Jeez, these are great!.........I always think of the most difficult way to do things and I never even considered a simple "hole plug".

Dick if you are aware of late Stude Avantis and 2's, you will be aware that the four speed shifter is surrounded by a chrome ring with three studs............I am experimenting with boots that do not need any chrome ring hold down, but then I have those three holes in the wood overlay on the console cover. Those holes are what I want to fill in as cosmetically as possible. Beside chrome, do they come in brass?

Dick Steinkamp
10-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Sam,
I don't know if they come in finishes other than chrome. You might check the Fastenal catalog.

https://www.fastenal.com/

If you didn't want them so shiny, you could buff them with fine steel wool to make them look more like raw stainless. You could also paint them if all else fails.

sals54
10-27-2017, 07:45 PM
I thought you needed them for anchoring, not just cosmetics.

thunderations
10-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Check with an RV supply store. They have screw covers that have a plastic disc that goes under the screw and then a plastic cap, in different colors, that snaps over the disc.

wittsend
10-27-2017, 10:26 PM
I would recommend Fastenal on line as opposed to the local store. At least the one near me has a very bold, in your face sign on the door that reads: "$50 minimal orders only. No exceptions."

StudeRich
10-27-2017, 11:37 PM
I would recommend Fastenal on line as opposed to the local store. At least the one near me has a very bold, in your face sign on the door that reads: "$50 minimal orders only. No exceptions."

Wow that's a New one, I have not visited my Local Fastenal Store in a while.

I guess they do not want people coming in for "a Screw!" :D

tomlewis
10-28-2017, 10:34 PM
Check out Restoration Supply Company in Escondido, CA. They sell threaded rivets (page 38 of their current catalog). These are threaded fasteners with plain round heads that look like rivets when installed. 5/16 - 24 is the largest size they sell. Tom

jts359
10-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Mcmaster carr has a great selection of fasteners and I don't think they have a minimum purchase

Hawklover
10-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Sal picture the chrome ring on a 4-speed '64 Avanti, now picture a rubber shift boot that does not need that hold down ring which has three 5/16 studs that go into the wood grained dash console, I am going to eliminate that ring but need to cover those three 5/16 holes.
I thought you needed them for anchoring, not just cosmetics.

52-fan
10-30-2017, 09:56 AM

I have bought small amounts at our Fastenal store numerous times. If they had to order something in special I guess there might be a minimum amount.

TWChamp
11-02-2017, 05:54 AM
I have bought small amounts at our Fastenal store numerous times. If they had to order something in special I guess there might be a minimum amount.

Two weeks ago I special ordered 32 small screws for a total of $1.60.
Two days later I picked them up with no minimum charge.
I was surprised at how much other stuff they also sold.

bensherb
11-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Last time I bought stuff at Fastenal they had to order the 2 bolts I needed. A week later they called, so I went to pick them up and they ordered the wrong legnth and had to re order. Then they did it again! After three weeks they finally got it right and had the correct bolts for me. There was no minimum, the 2 bolts were about $4, and they tossed the other 4 wrong ones in free.

1953champcoupe
11-02-2017, 01:55 PM
I will also share my experience with Fastenal, I've ordered twice on line, one order for $42 and the second for $12, the handling/shipping fee was virtually nothing, the staff, although knowledgeable, have plenty of work to do, and folks like us that just need a few small items that we don't even know what to call them are not great money makers for them. That's when I started to just order on line, I can
page though the catalog then go online to get better pictures and a more complete description, and only ONE trip to Fastenal.