1950 champion 2 door deluxe needs rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 champion 2 door deluxe needs rear end

I have a 1950 champion 2 door deluxe and it is missing most of the rear end. What does everyone think should I find the parts for it or just replace it with something else. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

Replacing it with "something else" is the first thing that comes to mind for almost every new-to-Studebaker owner. But there are lots of parts out there - more than you think. Replacing it with something else is usually a LOT harder than finding the correct parts. Even though the Studebaker marque is obscure, there are lots of parts available.

47-50 Champion has the same rear end.

51-52 Champion has almost the same rear end, and the 50 axle shafts will fit, so you can keep the same brakes and wheel bolt pattern.

If you know what kind of transmission the car has, you can choose the correct ratio.
    Generally speaking, the stick with overdrive is 4.55. Stick without overdrive is 4.10. Automatics had either 3.54 or 4.10.

You should buy three books, all of which are available from the Studebaker parts vendors:
    -1950 shop manual
    -47-50 chassis parts catalog
    -47-50 body parts catalog

The parts catalogs show line drawings of all the major systems and identify all the parts, where they go, what cars the parts go onto, the "official" name of the part, and the part number. The Studebaker parts vendors use these part numbers to assure that you get the parts you want.

Last edited by RadioRoy; 10-25-2017, 06:16 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will get all three books. I need to get it up off the ground and moveable so I can work on it.

Comment

I have a complete 50 Champion rear end from an overdrive car, 4:11 gears.
        I also have another 4:11 rear end that is missing the drivers side axle and both hubs and drums.
        Both are good and still in the cars.
        PM me if interested.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Not sure if it will work, but I have a complete drum to drum 54 Champion rear end with the improved brakes from a 3 speed with overdrive car. It is already removed.
          51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
          53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
          62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Comment

The 53 and newer cars have a wider rear track than the 52 and older cars. I don't know how much wider it is.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I know there are SDC members in Montana. If you contact the nearest chapter, I bet someone has a good rear end.
              BTW The 51-52 Champion rear ends are different because they have the 5 lug 4 1/2" bolt pattern like the later Studebakers. Your 50 Champion would be the earlier 4 bolt pattern.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                BTW The 51-52 Champion rear ends are different because they have the 5 lug 4 1/2" bolt pattern like the later Studebakers. Your 50 Champion would be the earlier 4 bolt pattern.
                A friend of mine swapped the axle shafts between 50 and 51 Champions. They will fit in the same housing by changing the outer axle bearings with the shafts. That way, you can install the hubs you want. In other words, the OP could conceivably install a 51-52 rear axle assembly and put in 50 axle shafts to keep his four wheel brakes and hubs. I do not know if the spring perches are the same from 50 to 51 or not, but they probably are.

Comment

I have a complete rear end from a 1951 Champion 4.54 to 1. That's the standard RE for the Champ, and a much more useable gear ratio then the 4.10 in our NW mountain country. I would rather have it in my 1951 Champ then the 4.10 that's there, but I'm too old and lazy to do the swap. I honestly don't care if I sell it or not. Just curious, where in Montana are you located. I think that you should be able to find something closer then Seattle.

Comment

I am located in around Helena Montana. The thing is I only have the outer housing of the rear end. I don’t ha e any brakes drum or wheels not sure what happen to the rest. Someone borrowed them and forgot to bring them back. The car was my grampas so I not sure where or what condition it was in when he bought it. Just wanted to start working on it and the rear end is where I was going to start so I could get it into the garage.

Comment

I have 2 '52 Champions with the rear ends, condition unknown as they are on parts cars out back, both I assume are 4:54's. In Yakima, Wa. free for the taking! Of course as mentioned they have the '51 on up 5 bolt pattern.

Comment

Just a suggestion, and depending on condition, maybe Bruce has two front drums, and five wheels on his parts cars (including spare) that you could get him to part with. Everything else on the brakes are the same, so all you would have to do is change over the front drums and bearings. Then you could use the five lug wheels all around. The four lug wheels and drums seem to be more rare then the five lug. you might find someone doing a stock restoration of a 1947-50 Champion who really needs them.

Comment

I am not entirely certain, but am thinking that the front spindles have different diameters from 50 Champion to 51, so it might be more involved than that.

edit. That's it. Doubledaddy has confirmed that the 50 Champion spindles are shorter. We should count ourselves as lucky that things stayed pretty much constant from 51 and later.
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Really Roy! What I learn here is amazing. I'm well aware that the 1950 has a unique suspension and that the earlier Commander spindles are different from the Champion, but never gave it any thought that the spindle size changed when the new suspension was developed for the 1951. I have both a 1950 and a 51 here, so I could check, but sure someone here will have the definitive information.

Comment

I have several drums from 50 to 52 champions. I tried to put the 51 five lug front hubs on the 50. Every thing fits, bearings and seals, but the spindle is about 1/4" too short. They will install and bolt up but the nut will not screw on far enough to install a cotter pin.

I have a 51 axle from an automatic and was wondering about the axles shafts. If they will fit the 50 housing this would give me 5 lugs on the rear but still have to figure out the front. I would like to find wider rims for the 50.
                              sigpic
                              Barn Find
                              1950 Champion
                              Before I started
                              Jim Berry
                              Midlothian, TX

Comment

Working...
                              X