54 Studebaker V8 Water neck options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 Studebaker V8 Water neck options

Hello just joined up so I can learn more about the cool motors and cars. I have recently bought a low mileage 54 V8. I am needed to know the different options for the water neck placement. I am wanting a more straight to the front setup. Let me know what yall know and if anyone has one let me know

Rusty
    214 537-7423

I think the two options were straight up (sedan/truck) and pointed towards the driver's side (C-K bodies) not sure if the bolt pattern is the same as any other vehicle. I know the thermostat is the same as a Chrysler V-8.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I think the two options were straight up (sedan/truck) and pointed towards the driver's side (C-K bodies) not sure if the bolt pattern is the same as any other vehicle. I know the thermostat is the same as a Chrysler V-8.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

You can change your entire water manifold to a 1961 to 1964 Stude. and then you will have one stock option only, but it is 45 degrees forward, level and to the the left.

Or you could machine the thermostat recess groove into a standard 2 hole, small block Chev. Outlet and gain several up and forward angle choices, it will fit the late Stude. Manifold.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You can change your entire water manifold to a 1961 to 1964 Stude. and then you will have one stock option only, but it is 45 degrees forward, level and to the the left.

Or you could machine the thermostat recess groove into a standard 2 hole, small block Chev. Outlet and gain several up and forward angle choices, it will fit the late Stude. Manifold.

StudeRich -Studebakers Northwest Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The '54 V8 should have a thermostat housing with 4 bolts. I seem to remember that they are on a square pattern, so it should be possible to clock it 4 different ways. If it's not exactly square, maybe the holes could be filed?

In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to custom-fab one to suit your needs.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The '54 V8 should have a thermostat housing with 4 bolts. I seem to remember that they are on a square pattern, so it should be possible to clock it 4 different ways. If it's not exactly square, maybe the holes could be filed?

In any case, it shouldn't be too hard to custom-fab one to suit your needs.

Comment

Here's something I whipped up for Nate a while back...

Not a terribly complicated gizmo.
                Then you can use just about any fill neck.

Nate can tell you how it worked..
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dirtys Speed Shop

Hello just joined up so I can learn more about the cool motors and cars. I have recently bought a low mileage 54 V8. I am needed to know the different options for the water neck placement. I am wanting a more straight to the front setup. Let me know what yall know and if anyone has one let me know

Rusty
                214 537-7423
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Here's something I whipped up for Nate a while back...

Not a terribly complicated gizmo.
                  Then you can use just about any fill neck.

Nate can tell you how it worked..
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Dirtys Speed Shop

Rusty
                  214 537-7423
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

yeah, that works too. if you cut the groove right, you could use a Chevy water neck if you mount it with the groove up. I used mine with the early style water neck on a late manifold (mostly because a) I didn't have an early manifold and b) I thought I was going to need the bung on the passenger side for the heater hose due to a pending A/C install, which won't work anyway) but it should work just fine the other way if you just turn it over In fact, I'll probably be removing Jeff's handiwork soon as it looks like the aftermarket A/C bracket that I'm going to be using actually mounts between the water manifold and the neck, so it'll serve the same purpose.

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

yeah, that works too. if you cut the groove right, you could use a Chevy water neck if you mount it with the groove up. I used mine with the early style water neck on a late manifold (mostly because a) I didn't have an early manifold and b) I thought I was going to need the bung on the passenger side for the heater hose due to a pending A/C install, which won't work anyway) but it should work just fine the other way if you just turn it over In fact, I'll probably be removing Jeff's handiwork soon as it looks like the aftermarket A/C bracket that I'm going to be using actually mounts between the water manifold and the neck, so it'll serve the same purpose.

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Working...
                      X