PDA

View Full Version : True Studebaker Driver

10-23-2017, 04:22 PM
The Potomac Chapter held their Fall Tour this past weekend. The group met at Front Royal, Virginia and drove together as a caravan to New Market, Virginia to spend the weekend learning about the Civil War New Market battle. One of our couples got off to a late start so they didn't join the caravan to New Market, but met us at the Southern Kitchen in New Market for lunch. On Sunday this couple drove home to suburban Maryland via Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah National Park.

What is so unusual about that you ask. Well, the driver is 90 and his wife is 92 and he drove his gorgeous '48 Champion convertible down I-66 to I-81 and followed that to New Market, total trip of more than 120 miles. Then he drove the '48 on the mountain road through the National Park going home. I try to stay off I-81 even in a modern car because of the brutal truck traffic.

This picture is the only one I have of his car on this tour. It is parked at the Wolf Gap Winery way out in the country, closest to Edinburg, VA. Yes, we were having a wine tasting session.

ndynis
10-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Paul, what a great story and great looking car. Where is that good looking Wagonaire?
Thanks for posting.
Nick

raprice
10-23-2017, 05:04 PM
That's a really nice story. I'm 80, so I guess there's some hope for me to continue to enjoy driving my Studebaker for many years ahead.
Rog

Guido
10-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Great story! I was on the Skyline Drive yesterday, but in the southern section of the park. I did not spot any Studebakers (or any other vintage cars).

Avantidon
10-24-2017, 05:27 AM
Paul, thanks for your efforts for putting this tour together as we had a great time with you all. The couple you mention are incredible people as for the most part they kept right up with us all who are several years younger than they are.