PDA

View Full Version : 1965 Sedan front door alignment

Studebaker1965
10-22-2017, 06:17 PM
Hi Guys, I'm doing some final adjustments to my Commanders body panels. The drivers front door latch is challenging me. I have the door lined up as far as gaps and trim, but when I close the door, it really rides on the latch and picks the door up slightly out of alignment. I have adjusted the latch down as low as possible. Must I dremel out the holes to allow more movement or is there another option? Thanks.

Nate

Warren Webb
10-23-2017, 11:19 PM
What is the condition of the floor by the "A" pillar? Weak? Rusted thin? If you have a floor jack place a short 2x4 on it & slowly jack up the rocker pinch weld just behind the front fender. If your alignment improves & the floor isn't rusted badly you might be able to shim the body mount inboard from the "A" pillar on what many here call the "batwing crossmember." See if that helps & let us know.

Studebaker1965
10-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Thanks Warren,
I never thought of shimming the body mount. There is no rust in the floors. I just finished a small patch behind the kick panel on the floor a couple years ago. Last night I loosened the bolts at the door hinges just enough, then closed the door and it lined up great. I re tightened the bolts. It still has some slight drag on the striker, but I'm satisfied. All this started by trying to line up the front edge of the hood with the front of the fender.

StudeRich
10-24-2017, 01:26 PM
It sounds like the Right Front took a hit sometime in it's life.