Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What transmission is used in the 1966 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What transmission is used in the 1966 Commander?

What unit is used behind the MacKinnon plant supplied Chevrolet/ Studebaker engines? The automatic's are PowerGlides to the best of my knowledge, but are the standard 3 speed "bolt action" a Saginaw, or Muncie GM or Borg-Warner?

No Powerglides. The automatic is a Flightomatic, with a kickdown cable instead of a linkage rod. Manual transmissions are T86 behind the V8, and T96 behind the six.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

The Studebaker model lineup was changed little for 1965; without opening the hood, it is difficult to distinguish them from the 1964 models.
      With the end of engine production in South Bend, Studebaker's Hamilton plant no longer had a source of engines. The company was forced to search for an outside supplier. The small engineering staff quickly gathered and thoroughly tested engines from both General Motors and Ford. The Ford engines (basically the Falcon/Fairlane six-cylinder and V8) would not fit without expensive modifications to the cars, while the GM (Chevrolet designs built by the company's McKinnon Industries subsidiary) engines fit perfectly.
      The only hang-up was how to mate the new engines to the Borg-Warner transmissions that the company preferred to continue using.

Comment

So, to put together an answer, the transmission is a Borg-Warner built unit, called a Flight-O-Matic by Studebaker.
        This same tranny was also used by other "orphan" car makers, AMC, Hudson, etc.. and is in fact a 3 speed, although many think it is a 2 speed, because it only shifts once if not put in D1, which starts it in 1st. My 66 Rambler Classic 327 has the same type tranny in it, only, reverse is in the "correct" location, and not dangerously at the end of the quadrant.(Yeah, I know, I will get slammed for that remark, but it has been proven to be true. I have personal experience, as my cousin was smushed by his brother against the garage wall because of this, but only suffered a broken leg, due to quick reflexes.)
        Cricket

Comment

No smushing, just clarifying that PNDLR was used by other makers too in the early days of automatic transmissions. This arrangement was supposed to make it easier to 'rock' the car loose if stuck in snow or mud.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

From what I've heard over the years, Studebaker was able to easily adapt the Borg-Warner Flightomatic using an "adapter" that was developed earlier by Checker so they could use the Borg-Warner trans with the Chevy V8.
            Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
            '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
            '58 Packard Hawk. A partially restored car that was not completely assembled.

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
              From what I've heard over the years, Studebaker was able to easily adapt the Borg-Warner Flightomatic using an "adapter" that was developed earlier by Checker so they could use the Borg-Warner trans with the Chevy V8.
              The Converter Housings that Studebaker of Canada used were more widely used by Jeep, in their Wagoneer with a Chev. small block 327 and Borg Warner Automatic and Transfer case for 4X4.

The 3 Speed Manual OVERDRIVE 1966 Models with the Optional 230 6 Cyl. Engine, did not use a T-96 like the "195" did, they have the same T-86 O.D. and Clutch Housing as the 283 V8!

This does not apply to the Straight Stick, Standard Trans.
              Last edited by StudeRich; 10-18-2017, 11:19 PM.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                The 3 Speed Manual OVERDRIVE 1966 Models with the Optional 230 6 Cyl. Engine, did not use a T-96 like the "195" did, they have the same T-86 O.D. and Clutch Housing as the 283 V8!

This does not apply to the Straight Stick, Standard Trans.
                Not true, Rich.

The straight-stick standard, (no O/D) transmission is also a T86 with the 230-equipped '66's. I have one, and the 1966 Parts Catalog Change Notice #2 supplement to the parts catalog also supports this.

Craig

Comment

Thanks guys! That's the same transmission my 64 Lark had, 3 speed column shift "bolt action" with not so good linkage.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Jeep never used a 327 Chevy in the Wagoneer ,

Comment

Originally posted by jts359 View Post
                      I'm pretty sure Jeep never used a 327 Chevy in the Wagoneer ,
                      The 327 used by Jeep was an AMC engine as used in the Ambassador -- this was replaced by a Buick 350 in 1968.
                      Bill Jackameit
                      1964 Challenger Wagonaire
                      1964 Daytona Sedan
                      Total of 10 Studebakers owned since 1961
                      Bill Jackameit's Studebaker Page online since October 1995
                      https://billstudepage.homestead.com/files/studpg.htm

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by avanti-hawk View Post
                        Thanks guys! That's the same transmission my 64 Lark had, 3 speed column shift "bolt action" with not so good linkage.
                        Not really the same , 66s were water cooled and your 64 Lark isn’t
                        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

"bolt-action"
                          Is that the same as 3 on the tree ?
                          I have never heard the term.
                          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Originally posted by 55 56 PREZ 4D View Post
                            "bolt-action"
                            Is that the same as 3 on the tree ?
                            I have never heard the term.
                            Yes it is. More of a Canadian term I guess. Because its the same as a single shot .22 rifle,almost

Comment

The car I'm asking about is a 3 speed manual column shift behind an inline 6 Chevy that's all original from what I've been told. I believe it's a194 c.i.

Comment

Working...
                              X