Overdrive wiring by braille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Overdrive wiring by braille

dummy me, I pulled the transmission from the truck (1963 Champ) and forgot to label the overdrive solenoid wires. This is the three terminal solenoid and no relay system. I can't read a damned one of the terminals. The middle terminal I am certain is to the governor. Where do the red and black wires go? Which one is up high, and which one is down low?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

Both to the Kickdown Switch.

Last edited by StudeRich; 10-11-2017, 03:54 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is also a couple of diagrams that might helpClick image for larger version

Name:	DSC06994.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1716742Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06997.JPG
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1716743

Comment

Unfortunately, neither diagram is correct for later vehicles, three terminals and no relay. And the red and black wires are not interchagable and still have it work. I guess I'll just swap them and see if it will work.
        Ron Dame
        '63 Champ

Comment

Even if I could find out which terminal is which number, I'd be OK. Like I said, I can't read the numbers on the solenoid.
          Ron Dame
          '63 Champ

Comment

If you are certain of the Governor wire, then you have a 50% chance of getting the other two correct. As long as you have not messed with the under hood connections, you could place the rear of the vehicle on jack stands and do a "static" run test. When you are under the truck, do the wires seem to have a "memory?" Where they seem to fit up easier one way over another? Wire up the other two terminals, start the engine, place the shifter in high gear, and ease out the clutch. With wheels off the ground, at proper idle speed...as soon as the wheels reach 20-30 mph, the governor should ground, and if wired correct, you should hear the solenoid click and the engine rpm drop as the wheels speed up indicating an engaged overdrive.

I don't know what will happen if the wires are wrong. Perhaps nothing. Keep an eye on the amp gauge. If nothing happens, check the overdrive circuit fuse, and simply reverse the wires. Let us know.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I hope this might help.
              Nice day to all.
              sigpic

Comment

Here's a pic to go with my diagram that was posted above. The lowermost terminal is the governor. The terminal above it goes to the distributer to kill the ignition pulse, and the top terminal is for power from the kickdown switch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0726.jpg
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1716788

Comment

That's what I needed. In the end, I removed the solenoid, and was able to read #6 and #8 terminals. #4 was scraped up and illegible, and 6 was pretty lightly stamped.

Originally posted by bensherb View Post
                  Here's a pic to go with my diagram that was posted above. The lowermost terminal is the governor. The terminal above it goes to the distributer to kill the ignition pulse, and the top terminal is for power from the kickdown switch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67800[/ATTACH]
                  Ron Dame
                  '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                  X