PDA

View Full Version : Getting your "Turning Wheels" delivered FIRST CLASS via a Rural Router

Studebaker Wheel
10-11-2017, 03:24 AM
My TW always arrives FIRST CLASS via a '63 Rural Router. Never a delay or excuse!

jts359
10-11-2017, 06:16 AM
LarkTruck needs one of those , Ed

8E45E
10-11-2017, 06:40 AM
So does all of Canada, but NOT operated by Canada Post.

Craig

Hallabutt
10-11-2017, 03:24 PM
I realize that the upgrade to 1st Class mail sounds like a real advantage, but in the real world of the USPS the advantages disappear. Periodical Mail (formerly called 2nd Class mail) is offten delivered on the same schedule as 1st Class mail. The concept of 2nd Cl. mail goes as far back as the beginning US Post Office. It was considered important that information get across the country as fast as possible. This was prior to telephone and telegraph, when the written word was the only way that information was disseminated. There was then, as now, an upgraded portion of the service which is referred to as News. It consists of magazines and newspapers, published weekly or sooner, and is usually delivered overnight. It was also considered imperative that the service be cheap enough so that everyone could have the opportunity to stay well informed. Up until about 1970 or 71 the PO was a part of the of the US government, and as such the was subsidized by our tax dollar. With the postal reorganization all of this changed, and no tax payer money has gone to support the USPS since the postal reorganization.

Along with several other classes of mail (Non-Profit and govt. Franked mail) the cost has remained artificially low. Kind of political "sacred cows," as it were. Periodical mail and 1st Cl. mail, most often, travel the same routes and with the same delivery schedule, but the cost of Periodical is much lower.

This is a big country and there are variables in speed of delivery based on geography, weather and time of year. I hate to say it but your carrier can also be a source of a problem. My point of all this is, that unless you have a persistent problem with your TW delivery, that you haven't been able to solve by discussions with your PO, you probably won't see much improvement by upgrading to 1st Cl. delivery. Why pay a great deal more for the same service?

For those who are ASC members the above does not apply. We in the ASC pay more and get less service.

raprice
10-11-2017, 05:23 PM
My TW always arrives FIRST CLASS via a '63 Rural Router. Never a delay or excuse!

Hey Richard, you must have connections!

Rog

StudeRich
10-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Yeah Right! :yeahright:

Cool picture though. :cool:

studegary
10-11-2017, 09:51 PM

I remember a heavy duty Studebaker station wagon that was used for mail delivery locally.
Other than going through all of the production records, is there any count of how many were built?

As far as First Class Mail - I got my TW via First Class Mail for decades, but no longer do. It started to be only a few days advantage locally and not even that compared to other areas of the country.