1957 Silver Hawk 2 piece driveshaft angle specs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: 1957 Silver Hawk 2 piece driveshaft angle specs

I rebuilt my 2 piece driveshaft and didn't mark the splines where they came out, but I did mark the center U-joint before removal, so I know that is correct.
    The automatic transmission mounts were trashed and I replaced them with reproductions from Stude international.
    I now get a vibration as I accelerate up to about 40 then a slight vibration at speed.
    From what I understand the front shaft should be 90 degrees out of phase between the trans and the middle u-joint.
    Is that correct?
    I had it balanced in phase but I wouldn't think that would be too much of a problem.
    I have the center carrier in the correct mounting holes (upper passenger) per the repair manual.
    With the new trans mounts installed what is the angle at the transmission yoke supposed to be at ride height?
    I have read that 5 degrees down towards the rear is good and 6 degrees down towards the front is good for the rear pinion angle.
    They call this the broken back style I believe.
    Looking from the side it would look like the shaft is sagging down in the middle.
    What I really need is the correct specs for the trans output shaft and the rear pinion angle so I can adjust them accordingly.

UPDATE: I drove up on a level alignment rack and checked the actual angles.
    The Flightomatic is hanging down 7 degrees and the trans is just touching the cross-member.
    I don't think that the trans is supposed to be that close..... maybe stude international sent me the wrong mounts?
    The differential is hanging down toward the front at 2 degrees.
    I lifted the trans with about 3/4" of blocks and I get 6 degrees at the tail-shaft yoke now.

Any info would be helpful

Thanks, Dan
    Last edited by Galactica5; 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM.

I don't know anything about the correct set-up of your 2 piece drive shaft, so I can't help there.

I can tell you that the down angle on your transmission (6 degrees) and diff (2 degrees) is the same as I have on my 61 Hawk since I put new springs in the rear. Those angles are not the source of your vibration.
    Last edited by wdills; 10-13-2017, 04:07 AM.
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Looking at the rear shaft, notice how the welded flanges are parallel, or in the same plane. Install the slip yoke so the welded flange on the front shaft is inline with the two on the rear shaft.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

So, that would be 90 degrees out of phase like I have read.

Thanks for your help

Comment

You must be missing the Spacer under only the LEFT Rear Trans. Mount!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The spacer could very well be part of the problem.
            That spacer would not only reduce the trans to rear angle but it would reduce the compound angle I have to deal with where the trans output shaft faces more to the driver side.

Thanks for the info

Comment

StudeRich, you were the closest to the answer to my problem.
              It turns out that the trans mounts I bought for this car from S. Intl. were incorrect for my car.
              After drilling new mounting holes to move the transmission up an inch to 6 degrees, 90% of the vibration went away.
              I will shim the rear axle to get the same angle in the rear and I would think that will rid me of all vibration.

Thanks for your help

Comment

So you bought the 1544970 & 1544971 '58-'64 Hawk Type Rear Engine Mounts (my INS208) and they do NOT fit your '57, correct?

Is that with or without a 1/2 Inch spacer on the Left?

Studebaker Vendors appreciate any feedback, good or bad.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought the 1547202-3 that their web site sold me when I input 57 hawk.
                  It could be that their web site application data is incorrect.
                  I don't remember a spacer on the left side but maybe I or the previous owner lost it.
                  I should have kept the old mounts until I got the replacements!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    So you bought the 1544970 & 1544971 '58-'64 Hawk Type Rear Engine Mounts (my INS208) and they do NOT fit your '57, correct?

Is that with or without a 1/2 Inch spacer on the Left?

Studebaker Vendors appreciate any feedback, good or bad.
                    This is perfect timing Dan, as I am JUST getting ready to mount engine and bellhousing (therefore the tranny mounts!); I also bought new mounts, and only received a matched set OF MOUNTS. No spacer, never heard of needing one (and my tranny in '57 GHawk had been replaced, so my "original mounts" had been out and had nothing under either of them save the decimated rubber mounts themselves. I've NOT read the Manual yet on this (2nd to next item on list...), does the Manual specify all this (or parts book), or how would we know there should be a spacer (or how thick) and which side?? Thank God I'm reading this NOW. (THANKS DAN!!)
                    My driveshaft will be connected to a 'new' tranny as well; oh well. We'll see about that one....

Comment

Working...
                    X