Studebaker F-Head Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker F-Head Champion?

In Richard M. Langworth's book "Studebaker - The Postwar Years", he mentions how AMC decided not to sell their 6 cylinder engines to Studebaker in the mid 1950s, then makes the remark that Studebaker had already cancelled its tooling order for the F-Head Champion. This makes me wonder about this F-Head engine, which I assume was like the Willys of that era, with overhead valves for the intake valves but the exhaust valves still in the block. Was a running prototype engine of this kind built for testing? If they were cancelling tooling which had already been designed it seems like they must have built at least one to try the concept out. I have never seen this F-Head Champion engine mentioned in any other sources through the years. Does anyone here know more about it?

(SWAG)

Since manufacturing machinery is rarely designed and built by the vehicle manufacturer, perhaps the Studebaker 6 cylinder machinery had come from Nash/Kelvinator/Hudson (AMC 1954)... Maybe their tool room was quoting to make the modifications to the machinery.

Good question!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
    X