Coating Buttercup's floorboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coating Buttercup's floorboards

I went to Harbor Freight and got a gallon of bed liner material.

Coated the floorboard from the firewall to the trunk lid latch striker.

Got about 80% done and ran out of material.

Went back to Hazard Fraught and got another gallon. Finished the coating,

now I'll let that dry a couple days then I'll finish the insulation installation.
    Jerry Forrester
    Forrester's Chrome
    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

I see you have the Heater block-off Plate, did ya keep or install the Defroster for those damp frosty Winter mornings, Humid Georgia Summers or rainy days?
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I see you have the Heater block-off Plate, did ya keep or install the Defroster for those damp frosty Winter mornings, Humid Georgia Summers or rainy days?
      Good eye Rich.
      Buttercup will be getting a heat/air/defrost unit from Vintage Air.
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

I have been thinking about using something like that in the trunk of my Cruiser. Looks good.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Does truck bed lining do a better job than other products, such as POR-15?

Comment

Hazard Fraught. I like that....and so true! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
              POR-15 is more for going over already rusty surfaces. Bed liner is a heavier, thicker coating, more for abrasion resistance, sound deadening and surface protection. It actually works really well underneath, as an undercoating, cuts noise and prevents small stones thrown up by tires from denting the fenders.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

When I did my 48 Champion, the interior was already undercoated. It was pretty rough, but I did not care because I was putting some heavy foam padding under the carpet, and none of the floor will ever be seen. But I wanted the underside, trunk and wheel wells to look nicer than what you can achieve with a brush on finish. The down side, compared to brushing it on, is that you have to do a lot of masking, because the spray on goes everywhere sticks to EVERYTHING.

I used the UPOL bedliner material, which is available in black or clear. I used the clear and tinted it with the silver grey paint I used in my engine compartment for the underside, trunk and wheel well inner panels. I tinted it with the maroon body color for the inner surfaces of the fenders. You can buy a UPOL kit with spray gun, which works very well, just need an air compressor.

Sprays Truck Beds, Inner Fenders, Chassis, and more - Simply Fill, Shake, and Shoot! Protects and Sound Deadens:• Pickup Truck Beds • Jeep Tubs • Inside Cars, Trunks & Fenders • Complete Chassis • Frames• Under Automotive Bodies• Engine Compartments • Inside Trailers • Toolboxes • Tractor & Truck Cabs, more! Easy to Apply: just spray on with applicator gun included in kit. 2-component urethane system sticks directly to prepared original manufacturer's finishes or any self-etching primer surface. Protects against rust, corrosion, and UV damage. Bed liner can also be rolled or brushed to obtain different textures. The surface should be lightly sanded or scuffed and free of dirt and rust for proper adhesion. If bare metal is present, treat with U-Pol® #8 Acid Primer before applying bed liner. SPECIFICATIONS: At 68°F - Pot Life is 60 minutes. Cure Time: touch dry Light-Duty Use: 2-3 days; Regular-Duty Use: 5-7 days. Coverage: 125 square feet (standard 8 ft bed). Additional coats can be applied after 60 minutes. Kit Includes: Four 711 ml (24 oz) bottles of black bed liner base, 1 quart of hardener, application spray gun (requires 8 cfm @ 50-60 psi compressed air), and instructions. One kit will cover up to a standard 8 ft truck bed or 125 square feet. Each kit makes 1.0 US gallon. Ship wt: 13 lbs.  CAUTION - Respiratory Protection is required when painting. Not included.

If you look at my build thread, post number 93,you can see what the texture is like - sort of a heavy orange peel. For more sound deadening, you can apply two or three coats - I only did one coat.

Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
                See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

Years ago I used Rocker Schutz (? spelling) on the lower outside door and fender panels of the wifes car for chip protection and I've thought of using it on the underside and inner fenders on my GT Hawk. Anyone know if this stuff is the same or similar? Bill

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                    POR-15 is more for going over already rusty surfaces. Bed liner is a heavier, thicker coating, more for abrasion resistance, sound deadening and surface protection. It actually works really well underneath, as an undercoating, cuts noise and prevents small stones thrown up by tires from denting the fenders.

jack vines
                    Jack, I'm not sure you are taking into account how much the POR-15 Brand has grown & expanded since its inception as a "Rust Preventative/converter." Under the BRAND, POR-15, has expanded to an entire family of products. Like any family of products, the key is to choose the appropriate chemical for the application.

In regard to the APPLICATION...there are only a very few objectives. "ADHESION"...if it don't "stick," then it is no good. "SEALING," it must seal the substrate against exposure to oxygen, whether borne by water(moisture) or air. Rust and corrosion can not occur with out the catalyst oxygen. And finally...DURABILITY, it should resist abrasion, and chemical breakdown over time. If it meets those requirements, (it don't matter what the brand is), I would call it good.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      I have been thinking about using something like that in the trunk of my Cruiser. Looks good.
                      Joe, the '51 had truck bed liner in the trunk when i got her. it's held up well.
                      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I hope its not made by the same outfit in China that made sheetrock with embalming fluid in it , Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Forrester View Post
                          Good eye Rich.
                          Buttercup will be getting a heat/air/defrost unit from Vintage Air.
                          What unit?
                          1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                          1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                          1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                          1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                          1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                          1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

Originally posted by creegster View Post
                            I don't know, but at about $40 per gallon this bed coating is a lot less expensive than POR15 and you can put it on as thick as you want.
                            Jerry Forrester
                            Forrester's Chrome
                            Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by DougHolverson View Post
                              What unit?
                              Universal Super Cooler Heat-Cool-Defrost.
                              Jerry Forrester
                              Forrester's Chrome
                              Douglasville, Georgia

Comment

Working...
                              X